Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an M1009 CUCV with 6.2 diesel. When draining the cooling system I noticed what looks to be oil in the coolant. There is no white smoke or liquid coming from the tail pipe and no coolant in the oil. Engine does not run hot so I don't think it is a head gasket problem. The oil cooler lines run outside of the radiator except where they enter the radiator for about three inches and then out so I don't think it is that. The thermostat had also turned dark. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Inside the radiator would be my guess, remove the lines from the radiator and run it for a while and see if water seeps out those connections, there is a small coil inside the radiator and they are known to leak...

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
As trailrider said, the oil/trans coolers are known to leak into the radiator coolant area on the aluminum/plastic radiators. I would definitely get it pressure tested and go from there. Otherwise it's head gaskets or a cracked block.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi ,yeah I did this fix recently.
With the engine cold remove the cap, look into the radiator . Any bubbles.?
Oil pressure is 20-60 psi. Water pressure 15psi ,cap on. So oil goes into water. Is the dipstick level (engine) going up over max?
As someone else said here, put NPT plugs in the filter head, a bypass.
Or you can saw one of the metal pipes at the rad through and join it to the oe rubber hose. Then you could extend it to a front mount air to oil cooler later.......
Flush out rad and get correct new coolant.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Engine off. No oil pressure. But still 15 psi water pressure hot. Water goes into oil.
As said above u need to do usual head gasket/cracked head checks, but I'm hoping it is for you just a far easier rad fix. Positive thinking....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts