Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...this is an occasional problem. Sometimes when either downshifting or rolling up to a light, the motor dies. It only does it about 1 out of every 20 times. I have a new rebuilt 4544 IP, and I have bypassed the original factory filter with a Racor. Everything else looks good, the truck starts easy cold or hot, I suspect, and it doesn't appear to have any air leaks. When she does die, I just hit the key again and she fires instantly! Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Electrical problem, probably. Sounds like maybe you have a loose connection somewhere in the power line to the IP shutoff solenoid. It's going to be hard to diagnose since it is an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sounds like a bad fuel lift pump.

I was driving an 83 Gvan for awhile with a 6.2, it would die when stopping hard or when the vehicle was sitting idleing at a stop with an incline and then accelerating. It would start up every time aftewards though.

Hooked up the fuel pressure gauge in place of the fuel filter and cranked over the engine (with fuel solenoid wire removed to keep it from firing) to see if I had fuel pressure cranking on the engine. None! Replaced fuel pump and things returned to normal.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Sounds like a bad fuel lift pump.
Another possibilty. I forgot about that one but it's probably more likely than an electrical problem.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think they messed up your new pump, sounds to me like the metering valve is sticking. Either they didn't replace the valve, or they set the linkage gap too long or you have fuel contamination.

Do you have a tach? If so, whats your Low Idle speed when the engine is warm?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
could it be the suction tube in the tank is loose or the screen is plugged? how hard is it to restart? If I have less than an 1/8-1/4 tank and stop fast or take a hard turn and I don't flip to the full tank I will get a miss and have had it die from fuel slosh in tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a tach, but I'm gonna try turning up the low idle a bit. It does sound a little on the low side, I'd say!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts