Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I've got a clean, one family owned 69 chev c/10 (heavy half) which recently spun a berring in the origional 240hp 350 at 240k miles. I'm considering swapping in a 6.2 diesel. has anybody done a similar swap? Mostly curious about motor mount positions. I figure the rest should be strait forward. I have access to a wrecked 84 chev with about 50k miles on a rebuilt 6.2. any input is appreceated - thanks
ausmhow

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just did a similiar swap on my K-20. It's more or less a bolt in deal, but couple of things for you to think about are:

1) The motor will bolt in on the original mounts. You do not need to relocate them. Are you going to use the same transmission? Remember, if you change transmissions, you might need to relocate, cut and/or lengthen driveshafts!

2) Your vacuum brake booster will need to be changed over to a Hydroboost system. This will probably entail some fabrication to get the Hydroboost into the truck, and you will need to run the lines to and from the power steering and to the steering box.

3) The radiator is an issue as well. In my case, I had to take a 4 core that fit my truck and have the tanks put on it from a 6.2 radiator. Cost was about $150 which also included a boil and rod out.

4) The wiring was pretty simple; I just ran the power lead from my HEI to the fuel cut-off solenoid, and then I used a Ford style starter solenoid and wired in a manual glow plug set-up. I also used the 60g glow plugs so they don't burn out!

I'm sure they are some more points to ponder, but these are the few that comes to mind when I look back on my conversion. After all is said and done, I'm really happy with my truck now. I got away from a 454 that was getting 8mpg at best to something that gets 15mpg+ and besides, diesel trucks are COOOL!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
I did my first 6.2 swap back in 1985, it went into a 1970 Blazer, 4x4. The only mod I had to do was removal of part of the engine crossmember, the pan wouldn't clear it. The bell housing also needed mods to clear the starter, external oil cooler for engine oil, big radiator and other items mentioned.:grd:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did a similiar swap on my K-20. It's more or less a bolt in deal, but couple of things for you to think about are:

1) The motor will bolt in on the original mounts. You do not need to relocate them. Are you going to use the same transmission? Remember, if you change transmissions, you might need to relocate, cut and/or lengthen driveshafts!

2) Your vacuum brake booster will need to be changed over to a Hydroboost system. This will probably entail some fabrication to get the Hydroboost into the truck, and you will need to run the lines to and from the power steering and to the steering box.

3) The radiator is an issue as well. In my case, I had to take a 4 core that fit my truck and have the tanks put on it from a 6.2 radiator. Cost was about $150 which also included a boil and rod out.

4) The wiring was pretty simple; I just ran the power lead from my HEI to the fuel cut-off solenoid, and then I used a Ford style starter solenoid and wired in a manual glow plug set-up. I also used the 60g glow plugs so they don't burn out!

I'm sure they are some more points to ponder, but these are the few that comes to mind when I look back on my conversion. After all is said and done, I'm really happy with my truck now. I got away from a 454 that was getting 8mpg at best to something that gets 15mpg+ and besides, diesel trucks are COOOL!!!!

Hi. I am doing the opposite with my 1984 truck right now. I am taking out the blown-up 6.2 and installing a hipo 454. Tahoe says that you have to convert from the booster style power brakes to the Hydro boost. Wanna trade parts? I want to convert to booster power brakes. What city are you in ausmhow? My email is [email protected] vbmenu_register("postmenu_936958", true);

1 - 4 of 4 Posts