Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

I have a question that I hope I can get some help with, I have a 86 gmc jimmy with a 6.2 and banks turbo charger that seems to blow alot of white smoke, now I have changed my injectors and fuel filter and that did not help and when I start my truck in the morning I have to give it gas or it will not start, I only have 99k on her and the block was supposed to be converted to a J block, what is a J block? and can anybody help me with this problem?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does it smoke all the time, or will it clear up after driving it?

There was a C and a J engines, basically one had the EGR and one didn't. That is the only difference.

Sounds like you may have a bad glow plug or two, ever replace them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey 3425, What kind of "white smoke". If it's white like Casper the Ghost, then I would look for a coolant leak into the combustion chamber such as, Blown head gasket,cracked head, or least likely a cracked block. Now if it's phonky fuel smoke (like lack of fuel) check the cheapest things first , starting with restricted fuel delivery or return lines, lines sucking air (like deteriorated rubber lines) BOTH fuel filters (if equiped with 2 like mine), faulty lift pump, and maybe a bad injection pump. I hope this gets you started, reply with some more specific detail if this doesn't help. Willy... P.S. There is a fitting on top of the injection pump with a small rubber hose attatched (return line) remove the hose & fitting from the pump, If it's clogged with rubber lookin stuff, thats the band on the governor It'll run like poop and sometimes not start. sorry I got so long winded, let me know please what you find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
traveler, yes it calms down alot when she warms up and I was wrong it is not the injectors I replaced but the glow plugs.

82 6.2, I was thinking blown head gasket too but I dont smell any antifreeze comming out of my exhaust and I will check my injector pump for clogs.

thanks

all

·
Registered
124 Posts
Giving a little pedal is probably a sign the pump is getting weak.

The smoke maybe from retarded timing. You can advance the pump timing a little should help clear it up. Are familiar with that, or want us to walk you through it?

With a turbo it takes longer to clear up on cold days because all the extra cold air it pumps in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The injector pump is held on the engine by 3 bolts. They are pointed towards the front of the motor. One is top center pretty easy to see. The other two are spaced around the same flange. The one below the throttle linkage is a little tough.

It takes a 15MM wrench, If you look where the top bolt is, there should be a line stamped on the edge of the flange, that corresponds to a line stamped on the block. Man I wish I had a pic for you, but maybe you can find them.

Loosen the 3 bolts, rotate the pump clockwise. You want the top of the pump to go farther towards the driver's side of the vehicle. You don't have to move it very far. If you have found the two marks you want between a 1/16 & 1/8" gap between them. If you haven't found the line, scribe one, and rotate the pump about that far.

If you want you can rotate the pump like 1/4" and see how it runs, if it starts good and runs good, and doesn't blow a lot of black smoke, your pump is worn out and needs rebuilt. Just rotating it 1/8" will advance the timing enough that it should start easier, rattle louder, but still not blow black smoke.

It's kind of a test step, it's pretty easy to do, if it doesn't improve the starting or smoke, we can eliminate the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts