Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was tinkering on my 83 c20 yesterday and spotted the overflow hose blowing bubbles in the bottle. removed the radiator cap and the water there was full of bubbles as well. Truck wasn’t hot yet and had gasses escaping out the neck as well, don’t think it was just steam. Guessing head gasket(s) are toast...

How often are the heads cracked beyond use? I have no idea how hot (if at all) the truck got, I just bought it after Christmas. Someone suggested a compression gas test, how would I go about that? Truck runs like a top, doesn’t feel like it’s losing compression in a bad hole. Radiator is new, and I’m betting this is why.

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
Was tinkering on my 83 c20 yesterday and spotted the overflow hose blowing bubbles in the bottle. removed the radiator cap and the water there was full of bubbles as well. Truck wasn’t hot yet and had gasses escaping out the neck as well, don’t think it was just steam. Guessing head gasket(s) are toast...

How often are the heads cracked beyond use? I have no idea how hot (if at all) the truck got, I just bought it after Christmas. Someone suggested a compression gas test, how would I go about that? Truck runs like a top, doesn’t feel like it’s losing compression in a bad hole. Radiator is new, and I’m betting this is why.
The tell-tale signs of heads gaskets going bad....
Besides the sign of bubbles in the coolant tank you can also see the upper rad hose get hard with the engine running.

Heads are known to crack, it is a common problem between the valves.
Don't waste your time with quick fixes in a bottle.

Your local auto parts stores carry block tester kits that would detect combustion gasses in your cooling system If you want to go that route but I wouldn't waste the money on the kit.
Just do the repair the right way and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
6.2 heads are more prone to cracking between the valves over the 6.5 because of valve size. Sorry man.

If you want to test with 100% guaranteed results... leak down kit. :thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoping the heads are ok, hate to put new heads on a $800 truck that has rust in the cab... waiting to hear back on another truck, if I can work out a deal on that one I might part this one out lol

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Mmmmm, yup. Probably popped headgasket. I've got heads if need be.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Block sealer a possibility? What brand is the best?
Please don’t use block sealer, it’ll foul up the whole cooling system, so block, heads, water pump, rad, heater core ... and only hit tanking will take it out.

Creatoporiorio or how ever you spell that .... ha ha

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
Fel-pro head bolts are under $20 a side on Rockauto.
And they have sealant on them

·
Registered
219 Posts
The stop leak sealer ends up in the small passages and ruins that component.
Why does my heater matrix leak and rattle? Ask the last quick fix owner....

Reactions: Bigboytoys
1 - 10 of 10 Posts