Diesel Place banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is probably why the block was cracked so bad and probably why this crank is going to be junk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
This project came to a screeching halt when grape harvest season started, and now wood cutting season is following it. Still haven't pulled the other head or the valves to inspect for cracks.

The romantic in me says that, I should hunt for an engine (not a 6.2) designed to take the abuse.

I found some cheapish 2000-up short busses $1500-2500 which likely have GEP engines in them. Looking at a 2004 for $2500.

Probably also have 4L85E's in them. The main holdup is the different heads for the center mount turbo. Pretty tempting when you price out a Ted's and a 4L85 seperately, but not tempting when you price out new heads to cut on for valves. Lastly, poor resale on center mount heads and low scrap prices on a school bus body. It would be fun to beat around in for awhile, though. An option.

I think I could work with the center mount intakes with what I plan, but not the center mount exhaust manifolds if they also have a different "angle". Flipping those manifolds would bury the ports in the accessory drive. The exhaust manifold gaskets are the same between a truck and a van, so maybe they are the same "angle?"

Jim is still trying to extract a 6.5 drivers side manifold off his spare engine for mockup for the second turbo. Supposedly all the bolts are cut off and it won't budge after several severe beatings. Such a nugget it'll only good for mockup anyway...

After reading many of the turbonator threads its obvious that you don't need the heavy expensive iron to have performance success.

There are a glut of cheap 6.5/6.2s out there right now. Have my eye on two that are under $200. One is already torn down and allegedly has a good block. Just need to drive far to get them.

I dunno... Thats where the thought process is right now.

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
This project came to a screeching halt when grape harvest season started, and now wood cutting season is following it. Still haven't pulled the other head or the valves to inspect for cracks.

The romantic in me says that, I should hunt for an engine (not a 6.2) designed to take the abuse.

I found some cheapish 2000-up short busses $1500-2500 which likely have GEP engines in them. Looking at a 2004 for $2500.

Probably also have 4L85E's in them. The main holdup is the different heads for the center mount turbo. Pretty tempting when you price out a Ted's and a 4L85 seperately, but not tempting when you price out new heads to cut on for valves. Lastly, poor resale on center mount heads and low scrap prices on a school bus body. It would be fun to beat around in for awhile, though. An option.

I think I could work with the center mount intakes with what I plan, but not the center mount exhaust manifolds if they also have a different "angle". Flipping those manifolds would bury the ports in the accessory drive. The exhaust manifold gaskets are the same between a truck and a van, so maybe they are the same "angle?"

Jim is still trying to extract a 6.5 drivers side manifold off his spare engine for mockup for the second turbo. Supposedly all the bolts are cut off and it won't budge after several severe beatings. Such a nugget it'll only good for mockup anyway...

After reading many of the turbonator threads its obvious that you don't need the heavy expensive iron to have performance success.

There are a glut of cheap 6.5/6.2s out there right now. Have my eye on two that are under $200. One is already torn down and allegedly has a good block. Just need to drive far to get them.

Buy the bus and convert it : :whistle:

Attachments

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts

most of the guys who have had "performance success" lately, have quite a long list of PM with the turbonators, or have put into practice what was (is) on our diesel "bucket-list"...:HiHi:......

your thought process on using a van engine, or at least most of parts (the heads and intakes), whether navistar-cast, or not is sound, the intakes can be swapped side to side to be made to work with some minimal aluminum welding for twins..... we happen to have a modified manifold here for the driver-side that does not require being flipped, that is already to go, might be able to make a deal for it if you are interested....:whistle:...J&J

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
OKDually, funny you mention conversion,

I have recently acquired a live in girlfriend and she LOVES the idea of the minibus and wants to convert one to a camper. (Meanwhile, Paleyjim thinks this is hilarious.) So when I mentioned the idea of minibus, I'm thinking performance engine to play with, shes looking at pictures of "Better RV's and Campsites" and mini homes to get ideas for converting the bus. I could be happy with an RV project instead, I am happy enough with the performance progress on the truck. So I'm being converted... if you will... Maybe.

Jim and Jeff, is that manifold you are talking about an exhaust manifold or an intake manifold? Do you know if the exhaust manifolds bolt up Van vs Truck? I was hoping the truck manifolds on the exhaust could be flipped, but the intakes too? Sounds like that could be handy. J+J without your passion and sharing, this would be a lot harder and riskier than I could stomach. So thank you for being a knowledge base!

At this time, I'm scouring car-part.com for a van engine instead, but Car-part says vans only got 6.5's till 2002. Not 2004 like the one I'm looking at. Not sure but the newer the engine, the more propensity for it to have a GEP instead of a Navistar casting which is why that 2004 model van is tempting. Navistar castings were better than GM but not as good as GEP. I'd much rather spend 500-1000 on a van engine with potential than acquiring an entire platform to deal with that will inevitably be influenced by female idealism haha. I think... because of the "van engine" it makes it a bit cheaper too because the truck guys won't touch them, and the dual intake manifolds as J&J mentioned may help my desired turbo setup.

Reactions: OkDually

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
The Navistar engines are the GEP engines, both the Optimizer and P400. When AM General (GEP parent company) finally bought the rights to the 506 block, they sourced it to Navistar (International) to do the casting. From what we understand now, the rights have been sold to a Chinese company. This possibly would account for the current rarity of the GEP blocks....and yah, it is an exhaust manifold. One of a pair that Jeff had built for a set of twins for us. We just never used them, and one is now cut up and transformed into something else (driverside, front/center-mount S10 turbo system)....LOL....J&J.

Reactions: Tr00b

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
also, the exhaust manifolds from the van bolt up to any 6.2l/6.5l, the same for all other parts, short of oil pans, which is just a question of rear seal lip height on the pan itself(1 piece versus 2 piece seal).....

the intake manifold inlet on the van picks up at the rear, right over top of the turbo, but the intakes are non directional like the exhaust manifolds are, bolt wise they can swap side-to-side, so if they are swapped pass to driver and driver to pass the inlet is at the front.... with a small amount of tig work the van intake makes a sweet twins set-up....

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No luck finding a dump truck, a school bus or engine, a Hummer or a heavier truck worth my time. The engine is in the way in the basement. Time to finish disassembly. Truck needs injectors.

I'm thinking that head studs would be nice boost in performance so the goal is to pull the valves to see how far they have cracked to see if it would be possible to build them or not. If buildable ill need a set of coarse thread injectors built. If not I may just slap in some standard injectors and wait on other work.

Just a post guilt tripping me into working on it again.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Never did work on this engine anymore, but came across another set of potentially clean and uncracked big valve heads, potentially for reasonable. Working them into a trade for a parts truck I have, if they're worth it.

Many of the dreams of big performance are gone, but the possibility of a head gasket issue is real, and if the heads are some semblance of an upgrade for power it would feel warm and fuzzy to switch to them along with head studs. My side research indicates all they are is a cracking risk and nobody has any real world data as far as power gain potential.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts