Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read most of the post about putting the 6.5 turbo set up on a 6.2, but have a couple more questions! will the intake manifold off the 6.5 bolt on the 6.2? and is it better than the 6.2 manifold?

also I bought a 6.5 electric lift pump and want to by pass the mech one, do I just make a plate and block off where the mech pump was??

Im trying to buy both 6.5 turbo manifolds, cross over pipe, turbo, and trying to get the intake manifold, what else should I try to get?? the motor is blown and trying to get the stuff ...

also what is a good price on a 6.5 turbo set up

THANKS FOR HELP....

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you dont have a turbo on the 6.2 now, you will NEED the intake from the 6.5.
You may want to consider the serpentine belt setup from the 6.5 as well, but do the research as to how the AC in your vehicle is setup. From what I understand, the 6.5 turbo setup will not be compatible to the AC box in the older truck without some modification.
Be sure to grab the short injectors, and the heat shielding from the donor also.
Others will no doubt have more complete info.....

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Yachtcare pretty much covered it, I just have a couple of little things to add...

As far as the lift pump goes, you can make a block off plate. Seems to me that it happens to be a good place to route the oil return line from the turbo, so you might consider putting a fitting on it for the line.

If the truck is pre-1988 (or is an '88-'92 crewcab, Blazer, or Suburban - anything with the "square" body), the air conditioning "box" won't clear the 6.5 turbo stuff so you will have to consider either removing the A/C or modifiying it to fit.

Welcome again! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks For your help, So the 6.5 intake manifold will bolt on, no mods needed?? THANKS AGAIN...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You can get a banks exhaust Manifold set and it puts the turbo on the front right corner of the motor I believe.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yep bolts up perfect remember new gaskets.

·
Registered
410 Posts
bowtie;1596018; said:
You can get a banks exhaust Manifold set and it puts the turbo on the front right corner of the motor I believe.

Is it possible to use just the Banks turbo side manifold with the stock 6.5 GM intake? Or are modifications required to get the plumbing over to the intake? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm not too familiar with the banks exhaust mani.

·
Registered
454 Posts
well i'm sure its possible. it woudln't line up and use a short hose exactly like the 6.5 setup though. it would require a custom pipe. probably not hard though. that would clear the a/c and make everything easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i ve done the swap on my truck. you need the both exaust manifold, cross pipe, intake manifold, add a oil supply from oil sensor. i modified the valve cover to get the oil return, you need also to modified your oil cooler hoses that interfere with manifold , i ve put a front pipe from a 96 k2500 6.5tbo and fitted it down (hard time) you ll have better place if your truck have a body lift for the exhaust. the place where i need help is for the waste gate i know it is risky for 6.2 to go over 10lbs i still search for the good receipe. if someone can help i ll apreciate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ve putted a 6.5 turbo on my 6.2. My truck is an 81 K30(85cab),92 corvette trans 208 t-case dana60 front corp 10.5 rear locked with 35 in tires and a 7ft snow plow. the swap was done without to much effort, but i need info for the waste gate. my turbo is a vaccum activated. if someone can help i ll apreciate. thanks.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Doug H;1595502; said:
also I bought a 6.5 electric lift pump and want to by pass the mech one, do I just make a plate and block off where the mech pump was??

You might cause some reliability issues by totally eliminating the mechanical fuel pump. But . . . I have never been able to find full specifications on the frame-mounted electric fuel pumps like GM used with later diesels. Delco provides the gallons-per-hour and the PSI ratings - but NOT the suction ratings. I do know - that I've seen problems for 40 years with mechanical to electric pump conversions -when the mechanical pump has been totally eliminated.

Electric fuel pumps are usually not designed to create suction and draw much fuel - they are designed to push fuel. Subsequently, OEM electric fuel-pump systems usually have a different type of fuel-pickup from - or in the tank- somtimes gravity - or sometimes very little vertical lift of fuel.
Back to the GM frame-rail mounted pump. Is it something special built that CAN suction fuel? I don't know. I do know that most electric pumps cannot.

With any installation I've worked on, an electric pump added as a booster along with the mechanical pump is fine. But, totally eliminating it can be a problem. Doing so can cause some weird and hard to diagnose problems. Most pre-1990-something 6.2s have two mechanical fuel pumps OEM - one on the side of the engine (diaphram pump), and another built into the back of the fuel injection pump (vane-rotary-pump). I also know that some newer diesel trucks - that have frame-rail mounted electric pumps only use them as "boosters" and sometimes have an additional "pusher' pump inside the tank.

Often, a truck that comes from the factory with a mechanical fuel-pump is going to have a fuel pickup that requires a lot of suction to get the fuel moving - since that was mechancal pumps are designed to do. This way, if a fuel line breaks, there won't be a major fuel spill since there is no gravity flow of fuel.

I have never seen the fuel-pickup in the tank from an OEM electric-fuel-pump style truck, but I assume it might be different. That's why in many cases the fuel pumps are put inside the tanks at the bottom. I realize that GM used a frame-rail mounted electric pump - so I'm not sure how it was all accomplished. I have a few other diesels with factory electric pumps - and they are have a zero-lift or gravity feed of fuel.

If someone has more specs. - please post.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I don't have any of the specs for the fuel pumps, but in my experience most of them seem to pull fuel up all right. If you go to almost any auto parts store you can buy a fairly cheap inline-style electric fuel pump which is designed to pull fuel up from the tank.

I don't like electric pump conversions very much, but for a different reason (which, I suppose, is mostly theoretical, but still something to think about)... Safety. They don't shut off if a fuel line comes off in an accident unless you install some sort of inertia switch when you install the pump, but most people don't do that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts