Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that are worried about the qulity of fuel like me. I have just installed a secondary fuel filter/water seperator between the factory filter and Injector pump. The install was reletively easy and I was finished in less than two hours.

List of parts:
1 NAPA Fitler Housing #4770
1 NAPA filter #3674
Thread tape
Mounting hardware
8ft of hose
Brass bushings for barbed fittings
Brass barbed fittings
Barbed union (to join existing hose to new hose from OEM filter assembly)(NAPA didnt have in brass)

I mounted the filter on the drivers side of the fan shroud. It will need to be shimmed a 1/2 in for filter to fit properly. Shroud will need removed for this and is easily done. Removed fuel hose from fuel cutoff and slid union into oem hose. Installed new hose running to filter inlet side. Clamped all fittings. Ran hose from outlet of housing to barbed fitting on fuel cutoff. Before I hooked up to the IP, I cycled the key until fuel came out the end of the hose to prime it. Still had air in the line, but alot less than expected. Zip tie the hoses to the coolant hose leaving a little slack for engine twist.

Start truck, check for leaks, and enjoy a fuel system cleaned down to 2 micron. Here are the pics of the final install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The filter is a direct replacement for the CAT 1R-0749 that everyone is installing.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If your pics are supposed to enlarge they won't.

Good idea. I may try it.

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed the pics. They should work now. Thanks for pionting that out Packratt.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Looks good. Could you post one more pic of how it ties in to the existing system?

You know I might have one of those filter bases floating around from an uninstalled remote oil filter that I bought years ago. Now if I can just find it :D

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the pics that show how I tied it in to the lines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bringing this back for the 6.2/6.5 D.I.Y. thread.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Very nice! I really want to put in another filter on my truck. Everytime i take my fuel filter out to change it it is super dirty, i really dont leave it in there that long either....

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
What size hose did you use, 1/4 or 3/8?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts