Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard horror stories about this motor. Does anyone have anything positive to say about it? I'm looking at buying an 03 F-350 is the reason I ask...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
There were good and bad ones with the 6.0L. The 2003 and those built up till 12/04 were the most plagued units though. Are you sure the 03 your looking at is an 6.0L? The 7.3L and 6.0L were both available for 03.

Try www.thedieselstop.com for some more info.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If it's a 6.0 run away. Run hard, run far, run deep, run. If it's one of the few 2003 7.3s buy it, now.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thefermanator;1582931; said:
There were good and bad ones with the 6.0L. The 2003 and those built up till 12/04 were the most plagued units though. Are you sure the 03 your looking at is an 6.0L? The 7.3L and 6.0L were both available for 03.
I'm positive it's an 03 w/6.0L

·
Registered
16 Posts
03 psd

Run! I know 3 people with them. They are terrible! My suggestion is to find an older model with 7.3

·
Registered
183 Posts
:agreed: Run from the 6.0L! I passed a new one this passed weekend pull'n a 5ver stuck half way in shoulder/slow lane of 58. I've heard lots of stories on how peoples vacation have been ruined because of them. I have a friend with an 04 with only 2100 miles on it. He says every time he drives it something happens. The Last time it was puking oil out of the oil filter housing. He has 3 Cummins that he uses on a regular basis with no problems. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
hey take it from me i own one. same year too, which is the year they have alot of problems with. i like the motor and the truck but cripes the only thing that is stock in the drive train is pretty much the motor block. i bought the truck new for 45,000 and now i have about 15,000 in accesories and after market crap. when i first bought the truck it was one issue after another. i broke down and ordered an 08 LMM GMC. Now that my trucks been done up she's fast, and will run in the mid 12's regularly. but long story short if you want to make regular trips to a mechanic like i did, buy the truck. otherwise if you want a ford find a 7.3 diesel. or find a newer 6.0 where they had less issues.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the info guys. The only reason I'm even looking at this truck is because it's cheap. I'm selling my truck for $2,700 under payoff, and then there's the $7,000 worth of extra stuff that I'm losing money on. I've decided that there's no way in hell I'll ever buy a new truck again, especially since I don't keep anything for very long. My budget is under $25,000. I had originally planned on buying a 2003 Denali until this truck came up, so it got me thinking about what else is out there. I have to have a truck or SUV that will pull my 25' Baja Outlaw with no troubles. The truck I have now does fine, but it's a gas burnin 6.0L.

I'm gonna try to get an Oasis report on this truck to see what's been repaired from the dealer in the past. Maybe that'll shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll sell ya my 02 cummins.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I bought a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 and traded it off after 4 months and 4,500 miles for the truck in my sig. I'll never have an other F*rd product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts