Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to help my 6.0L breathe a little better, and maybe do a couple other performance mods. Hopefully help the power without affecting mileage to much.

I don't really want to do the exhaust system because I don't want the extra noise.

What would you do to boost performance without getting to wild?

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Air intake kit, aftermarket mass air sensor, throttle body spacer, electric fan, power programmer, cooler thermostat, the list goes on and on.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Air intake kit, aftermarket mass air sensor, throttle body spacer, electric fan, power programmer, cooler thermostat, the list goes on and on.
:exactly: Air intake, Flex-A-Lite fans, programer..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you don't want extra noise in the cab, then DON'T put an aftermarket intake on!! I put aftermarket exhaust on and drove it for a couple of days and then put a K&N FIPK kit on and the air intake was TWICE as loud as the exhaust esp when pulling a trailer. It sounded like the dashboard was going to get sucked into the intake at any moment. It was a nasty droaning sound.

JMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any suggestions for air intake kit?

How do the electric fans, and the air sensor help? Less draw on the motor?

Bricklef: is this a problem only with the Duramax or the gas engines too?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Man beicklef, I liked the K&N FIPK on mine, that sucking noise was like an old q-jet with all 4s open. It wasn't as annoing as an exhaust and added great power. The Flex-A-Lite cooling fan added better power BUT they are $$$$. Taking off the clutch fan added sooooo much less drag on the engine when pulling my TT.

The best things to do to add HP is; exhaust, intake, programmer, fans..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Man beicklef, I liked the K&N FIPK on mine, that sucking noise was like an old q-jet with all 4s open. It wasn't as annoing as an exhaust and added great power. The Flex-A-Lite cooling fan added better power BUT they are $$$$. Taking off the clutch fan added sooooo much less drag on the engine when pulling my TT.

The best things to do to add HP is; exhaust, intake, programmer, fans..
The FIPK was cool for about an hour and a half and then I was ready to shove a damn towel in the thing to quiet it down.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Any suggestions for air intake kit?

How do the electric fans, and the air sensor help? Less draw on the motor?

Bricklef: is this a problem only with the Duramax or the gas engines too?
I'm talking about my gasser. THe DMAX is stock........ so far.

You can try it, as RTT says it does sound like a 4 barrel carb wide open (with the lid flipped over).

·
Registered
644 Posts
To keep it quiet, but gain some HP's I'd look to get a PCM tune like Westers, Nelson's, etc...then if you "must" have an intake go with a Volant since it does come with a full air intake box with lid and tends to quiet down the growl alittle bit...though with a couple little mods you can have your stock intake flowing just as much as an aftermarket one...I have a Whipple on my 8.1 and still can't outflow my factory airbox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8.1Gasser - can you explain what you did to your stock intake? I wouldn't mind modifying it instead of buying something aftermarket.

How do I get ahold of Westers or Nelsons for a PCM tune?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm with 8.1 Gasser. A custom PCM will get you the most bang for the buck. I'm getting ready to do a Wait4Me tune here in the next couple of weeks. Every report I have read so far seems positive and at $157 and keep your old PCM you can't really go wrong. You can expect about 30HP and 1-3MPH increase with any of the custom PCM tunes on a 6.0. Not to mention getting rid of some of that nasty torque managment that will hold your truck back no matter what you bolt onto it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I feel like an idiot and probably look like one too, but who do I contact to get this for $157 bucks? Sounds like a heck of a deal and would be nice to have a little mileage increase.

Still hoping someone will chime in with the stock airbox mod information.

·
Registered
644 Posts
For the stock airbox mods I will try to go take pics..just have to dig the truck out...basically take a good look at the front of your lower airbox...behind the headlight...if you look around the headlight you wiill be able to see the airbox..it is in these spaces where you would want to drill it out...there is room for a few 2" holes to be drilled...this will allow more outside air to enter...throw in a new filter...K&N, S&B or the like...do not overoil it...this should be more than enough for more flow on a n/a motor...heck the stock box with a new element should be plenty for your truck with a tune.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had some tubing 3" bent and installed it in the factory air box for a "home-made cold air intake" it sucks from the lower bumper cover. I also had the fipk from K&n on and pulling the TT it drove me nuts!! So took it off and had a few beers and came up with this idea get cooler air into the engine. So I made my own and used the factoy air box with a k&n drop-in and no noise in the cab. Good idea w/the fans do they keep up while towing??? The viscus fan really pulls hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went and drilled holes and definately can hear it "sucking" more air when I get on the gas. Thanks for the help guys.

Anyone want to help me out with a source for the Wait4Me tune that NorCal2500HD talked about above? Is this a tuning module, or a deal where I will have to take out the computer chip and send it in for programming?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
www.wait4meperformance.com

I've got a PCMsforless tune and it has worked out for me...But I've been hearing good things about Wait4Me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JRKRACE - Thanks for the website address, how about one for PCMsforless? I tried adding a .com to it and didn't pull up. What did you pay for yours?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Try www.pcmforless.com.
I paid 375.00 for a complete PCM and put the stocker on the shelf,just in case. I had the Hot 91 tune, but I may back it down to the 89 performance tune. I don't know if I'm going to feel a difference, but I can't keep putting premium in every time I fill up. I'm still playing with different tunes. But the fact remains: The torque management in a removed state will definitely wake the truck up. It did to mine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The 285's really offset any gains. With 285's and premium fuel, I'm at the 11 mpg ballpark. I'm back to stock PCM and tires so I can get a baseline and will be trying an MPG 87 tune in a week or so. Work in progress...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts