Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I hate to say it but I have seen two different Powerstrokes and man they haul and sound GREAT, it's like a jet plane sitting next to you. I hear their torq shift tranny is good too ? anyone have one as a work truck? Maybe my school will get some and we can see how great they really are.

P.S. Why doesn't GM makes something like the King Ranch package for our trucks?

Lenny

·
Registered
110 Posts
MC 31, seems now that they got the 1st year glitches out of them they are really startin to kick some a$$ 1st year probs. included warm idle flucuation, diesel in the crankcase due to faulty run of injectors, and turbo lag. these were 90% of the problems people were complaining about. Now, new injectors are out (C95's) latest and greatest reflash is out (warm idle romp is gone) and it also got the turbo to spool up around 1400 rpm range. Stock dyno #'s are in the 285-295 HP range on #2 only as reported on thedieselstop.com

·
Registered
644 Posts
Dshiftff, we'll see if those numbers are right once you get yours, let me know so we can put it on the rollers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yep, 8.1, will make a trip with it, there saying the 10th for delivery still. did you run yours the other day or just went up for the ride? gotta recruit some more f*rd guys here. later...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Dshiftff, just went up for the ride, gets mighty boring not being able to do anything.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote snippets (w/o permission) from the Jan '04 Peterson's 4x4 magazine:

"According to a recent story in Automotive News, Ford has faced some serious problems with its 6.0L PowerStroke diesel V-8, problems so severe that the company launched a recall of more than 66,000 trucks and has had to buy some 500 trucks back from disgruntled owners...The trouble seemed to arise from some faulty fuel injectors installed in the engines durin the first 5 months of production...Ford also found problems with the engine's turbocharger and its computer management software..."

Even more happy I got a Duramax now.

--Rob
Edited by: ryeguy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been using a 2004 F350 to haul 24k a day for the past 2 weeks now and I am very happy with it. The 6.0L is doing just fine and it's completely stock.

I sold my 2004 Duramax 2500HD because it was having a hard time staying in my garage rather then the dealers. It was returned under the "lemon law." Owned it for 60 days and it was in the shop 18 times and GM still can't say what was wrong with it. Just the "service engine soon" light kept coming on and there was no reason for it according to them.

Not the only one to have an issue with the service engine soon light on the Isuzu either. Guess just having the GM emblem on it is enough to make it junk. They tried at least by putting an Isuzu motor and Allison tranny in it.

Now before anyone blows a gasket, they are both good vehicles I have just had less issues with Ford diesels then the GM's.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I don't recall the check engine light being a common problem on these forums.

Did you check the engine?

There are lemons in every crowd..... of trucks that is.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have to make the obvious distinction between a couple of lemons making it out of production and a 500 truck buyback.

I regularly read diesel truck forums and it's rare to hear about Dmax owners having their vehicles bought back. On the otherhand, Ford websites have much discussion about problems leading to that. I have confidence Ford will eventually get 6.0L problems behind them, and maybe it's already begun to happen.Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a buddy who (no lye) had 2 count thwm 2 trucks bought back by ford. No longer a ford lover he went with a new dodge cummins and loves it. I told him he would have no problems with the engine at least. Dodge does have the most reliable diesel out thier and probly always will.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Dmax engine is about 20 years old. Isuzu has been using them since the early 80's in their delivery trucks. The 6.0L is only 3 years old and only 2 years now has it been on the market for mass use. The only thing GM on a Dmax is the body and logo. Who makes the tranny? Who makes the engine?

I have out hauled 2 Dmaxs that were stock with my stock 6.0L. This was with a 24ft gooseneck trailer and 2 Hyster 50's on it. Each lift weighs just shy of 10k. Not for sure of the weight of the trailer.

This was a timed test going west on Hwy 34 for a 3-mile stretch in CO. Now keep in mind these were an '03 and '04 Dmax's 2500HD and a F350 all 4x4's all crew cabs short boxes. This is a real life test done on the same day pulling the exact same trailer. None of these trucks were dually's.

I am not saying the Dmax is a bad truck, because it's not, but don't try to tell me GM did anymore then put some older parts on their frame. Let's give some credit where credit is due. Say to Isuzu and Allison and IH. As for the Cummings engine who owns part of that company?

If we want to toss mud we can all day long and if you want to see who has the best truck look at the guy that put the most money into it. He or she with the most money wins. That's why I made a strict completely stock comparison. With vehicles as close to the same as possible.

The Dmax does ride better, but I prefer my binder.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's Cummins, and I hope you aren't insinuating that old myth about Ford owning part of Cummins.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now answer the Dmax question about how old that engine is and what of the Dmax is truly GM.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I could be wrong but I lived in Dayton, OH when they first developed the Dmax with Isuzu and that's the way it was billed in the newspapers and on the news. The new Dmax was jointly developed by GM and Isuzu at the diesel building behind the Blazer assembly plant.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The Duramax engine family is the result of a joint venture (DMAX Ltd.) between GM and Isuzu Motors. GM's relationship with Isuzu began in 1971 and was strengthened in 1997 when GM announced that Isuzu would develop diesel engines for GM. Because of Isuzu's expertise in commercial vehicles and diesel engines, the company plays an important role in GM's global strategy. Isuzu is a world leader in diesel engine design and development, and has produced more than 60 million diesel engines in the past six decades.

The Duramax Diesel family is domestically sourced, and is produced in a brand-new DMAX, Ltd. facility in Moraine, Ohio. -GM

·
Registered
42 Posts
As was said the Dmax is an Isuzu that GM merely looks at the blueprints of and slaps together. So, the Dmax is only GM by assembly and body?

Come on guys have some fun here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
GM at this time owns at least 80% of the DMAX venture. GM owns 100% of the enginering in Japan. This comes from an enginer friend that I worked with here at Saturn. He is now assigned to DMAX in Japan with enginering.

At the plant in Moraine, the workers are in the union (ALF/CIO), they do all the machining on the blocks, cranks, and heads. They heat treat and nitrite the crank at the plant. Blocks and I (think cranks) come as castings from Germany, and the heads mostly came from Japan, but some that I saw 2 years ago was from California.

Now is the question: How much of International Harvester/Navistar does Ford own, and how much of Cummings does Daimler/Chrysler own?

Know this is off topic, Just Having fun
.Edited by: cmadmaxman

·
Registered
42 Posts
GM can own all they want of the company the final product is still an Isuzu with a GM emblem on it. How much of Allison does GM own?

Proud to say I am driving a Binder rather then Isuzu. As far as where the product is cast and assembled that doesn't matter too much to me. The product is still almost 20 years old with improvements made to it over that time span and it's still from the Jap drawing boards.

That helps to explain the 12k twc. Even with a dually.

Still having fun here.
Almost too much of it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
BIRDOFPREY97- Correct me if i'm wrong, but the last i heard and seen, Ford or should i say Internationals 6.0L did not have common rail injection???? Even Cummins changed to common rail.......Ford is still in the 60's man. When they finally decide to go common rail, which rumor has it in a couple of years, they will finally be up to todays technology which by then will be old news.

No doubt the 6.0 pulls better in a stock configuration, but it also has more hp and trq stock. We'll see how it does against the 04' dmax(more trq), again not an apple to apple comparison though.I would like to see both motors with exact numbers pull the exact load and i'll bet there neck and neck. Until then, its all hearsay. Later Jeremy

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Higher Torq Dmax I believe has the same Turbo as the 6.0 Ford. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Who cares how the fuel works as long as it does?

When the Dmax becomes more of a GM product then Isuzu then the Bowtie will deserve to be on it. In my veiw.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts