Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need some help finding the best tuner for my crew cab 6.0 I just traded my dmax for it(way to many problems to mention still regret selling it). I want something that is going to bring some life to this thing and I know you can help. I have looked into hypertech, bullydog, superchips and everything else under the sun so in your opinions what is best(mileage, HP/TQ, and overall driveabilty)?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Superchips, and bullydog are decent tuners. PPE and Quadzilla are better, but a custom tune from Nelson's performance, Wester's Garage, or Wait4me is the best option. The last handheld i tried was a bullydog and it worked good, but the thing I really liked about it was the torque management removal feature. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt know ppe made a tuner for a gasser

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I am leaning more towards a custom tune but I dont know much about them

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Custom tune will wake up the 6.0 to the point where it's a bit peppier, but coming from a diesel, especially if it's chipped, the pep wears off pretty quickly. Also plan on 93 octane for the best bang.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was. Everything from banks, and I know it will never compare to my DMAX I just want to bring some life to this thing and dont want to dump thousands into it

·
Registered
199 Posts
do the bullydog programmers remove the torque management? i have tried all the other chips on similar trucks before but not the bullydog, and this is the programmer i was leaning toward for my buddies new truck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do have a Wester's in my 2003 5.3, and am very pleased with the cost, the ease of install and the results. I got the 89/93 tune.

I chose Wester's for several reasons:
With the Wester's you get;
1) incredible performance and throttle response
2) Increased gas mileage
3) Optimized 87 octane tuning
4) Nice firm shifting, as firm as you want!
5) Faster and earlier downshifting
6) up-gradeable for ANY mod for LIFETIME at no cost
7) Always have 30 days to test before sending core back
8) Fabulious and personal tech support
9) If you buy a new truck, Wester's will give a FULL credit
of your PCM cost toward the new one.

E-mail or call him to ask any questions, he's really easy and helpfull to talk to.

For Wester's,if you have questions, Lyndon can be contacted at 1-888-WESTER1 or via e-mail at [email protected] Can also visit http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/ for additional information.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Meant to add:
Wester’s Performance Tuning options

Wester's Performance tunes are now available with these basic choices.

1) 85 octane high altitude tune

2) Dual 87-91 Octane tune (will automatically adjusts for octane)

3) Dual 89-93 Octane tune (will automatically adjusts for octane)
(These dual octane tunes are recommended for all dual purpose (work/play) trucks.

4) 91 Octane HOT tune (much more aggressive than the Dual octane tune)
(Recommended for performance trucks where higher than 91 octane fuel isn’t available, like California.)

5) 93 Octane HOT tune (much more aggressive than the Dual octane tune)
(Recommended for performance trucks. No, or very limited, heavy towing or hauling!)

Of course he can custom tune any of the basic program tunes to your specific requirements and desires.

The new 87/91 and 89/93 dual fuel tunes will be able to run with 87 or 89 octane in MOST conditions with good performance, or with 89, 91 or 93 when even more performance is wanted. The dual octane tunes are capable of tuning for a higher octane. The factory tune will only advance the timing to the limits set in the original spark tables. Changing between 87 or 89 octane and 91 or 93 is automatic, the tuning will adjust itself for the octane you are using by referencing another spark table.

Under MOST conditions, all the tunes will run fine with the octane programmed for, but altitude, towing, load, condition of the engine, temperature, poor fuel quality, oxygenated fuels, or sensor variations may require choosing a higher octane. Just be aware that under certain conditions a higher octane fuel may be required, and that more performance and sometimes better fuel mileage is available just by using higher octane.

Standard with all performance tunes

Complete reflash of the PCM to your VIN, with all factory updates.
Dyno developed performance tune optimized for your exact engine and transmission combination.
Raised and optimized shift points
Firm, but not harsh shifts
Elimination of all torque management that can be safely removed

Some of the more common modifications to ask for.

Raising the top speed limiter to any speed you specify
Specifying the exact shift points you want in every gear
Firmer (or softer) shifts.
Specific tuning for your modifications, like larger than stock tires, gear ratio change, aftermarket MAF sensor, supercharger, headers, cam change, engine modifications, etc.

The Guarantee

30 day free trial, you don’t like it, we’ll either modify it, or send it back and owe nothing!
Lifetime warranty (no cost or fees)
Lifetime updates for all future mods ($45 shipping and handling fee)
Lifetime full price paid credit toward your next custom tune for your next vehicle

·
Registered
199 Posts
how much did the westers tune run for you?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyway to get a custom tune with out having to swap the pcm. I have read about efi live but it just confuses the $#@! out of me. All the relearn crap and possibility of a trip to the stealer non of which i trust nor care to talk to around here, with the pcm swap. Any ideas? I am not taking the custom pcm out of the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can keep your present ecm and get another programmed for you, but it is gonna cost you more. I have taken my 98 2500 to the dealer with the programmed ecm, and it was not erased after being hooked up to their computer, like a programmer will be.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anybody know anything about wait4me performance, I e-mailed jesse a week ago and he still hasnt gotten back to me. I have e-mailed westers and they answer with in the hour I think westers may have to be what I buy because wait4me is taking way to long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have used hp tuners to tune a 4.8 and a 5.3 with a big cam and it is great. got rid of tourque managment added some timing and played with the trans, adjusted for tire size and much more. for $500 you can tune 4 different vehicles and data log as you drive.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you running efilive, it sure sounds like it if not what are you running and maybe you could help me with mine

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you have no interest in learning to tune a gas motor then I think try companies like Wait4meperformance, Westers etc, exchange (or outright purchase) PCM's are not a big issue.
Or simply look around for a performance shop in you area who does custom tuning. This is really the best way, walk in to the shop, tell them how you drive, what fuel you want to run etc and they should be able to program to suit with maybe a dyno run thrown in.

'TxDoc', FYI, GM's LSx gas motor PCM's run a dual octane spark map from the factory.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
BNKSPWRDDMAX;1596203; said:
Does anybody know anything about wait4me performance, I e-mailed jesse a week ago and he still hasnt gotten back to me. I have e-mailed westers and they answer with in the hour I think westers may have to be what I buy because wait4me is taking way to long.
Call Jessie.. I he has answered everytime I have called. :) If I am not mistaken Jessie will sell you just the EFI tune too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts