Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking for a programmer/ tuner that would be compadable with a change in tire size. A little added horsepower and fuel milage would also be a plus.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
EFI Live will work on the 6.0 and it ia a great programm but i dont think it will work on the 4.3. I think hypertech may do both. Maybe superchips too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I too am wondering what if a programmer or tune is better for me. From what I've read the custom tune is definately the way to go, but with the programmer you can do more things. Anybody have an opinion about a hypertech or superchips on a 6.0? Do they help at all in the power department? I'd like to squezze a little more out of the 6.0 if possible and I plan on upgrading to larger tires soon from the stockers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
WESTERS........WESTERS.............WESTERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WESTERS............WESTERS............WESTERS...............WESTERS by the way did i mention WESTERS

there gas 6.0 tune is well know for mileage and power gain, if you look on a few gasser fourms, many many running it, i have ran a few my self, great tune

·
Registered
487 Posts
FredW, are there any problems you may encounter with a custom tune? I've read sometimes you have to do a crank relearn on them. Also, I've heard something about if you take it to a dealer and they hook it up to a scanner that they could "flash" out the pcm or something. What's that all about. I like the idea of the pcm, but I don't think they've been out running long enough to know the long term reliability. If you take the TM out of the tranny surely that would shorten the useable life of it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
First, Westers tunes and other ECM tunes have been out for many years, not new to the market. I personally have been using Wester's gasser tunes for serveral years and they are extremely reliable!!!

As for the 6.0 tune, I just had one tuned 2 weeks ago...very stong tune and increased mileage.

Lastly, the amount of TM from the factory can actually HURT the trans more than it helps. Reducing some TM allows to trans to shift cleaner and harder. The smooth shifting you feel from the factory is for comfort, not for trans longevity! Talk to Lyndon @ 1-888-Wester-1, he'll explain!

·
Registered
110 Posts
A custom tune is nice but, I went with hypertech. I got the tuner for $283.00 New. I also checked with wait for me and he wanted $158.00 for a custom tune. The guy at wait for me, said removing the torque managemant is fine but it is only in place during the shift between gears. He also said, removing the torque management will reduce the life of the trans. I went with hypertech, because you can achive the same results, but do much more and in a matter of a minute or so. I do like the gains i have gotten. A+

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so with the westers tune if i had to get the crank relearn where could i get that done westers tune is looking good might give them a call tomarrow

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Another vote for wester's!!!!! I started with a superchips in my 01 gasser, if cooked the PCM. Cost me a tow and shipping for the tuner. The tuner made a difference, but wester's tunes was far and away better. Worth the extra investment IMHO.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
will quiz Lydon on this before my reply

FredW, are there any problems you may encounter with a custom tune? I've read sometimes you have to do a crank relearn on them. Also, I've heard something about if you take it to a dealer and they hook it up to a scanner that they could "flash" out the pcm or something. What's that all about. I like the idea of the pcm, but I don't think they've been out running long enough to know the long term reliability. If you take the TM out of the tranny surely that would shorten the useable life of it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You don't think we've been programming long enough to know long term reliability ? Was that the question ?
"Crank relearn" was for missfire diagnostics relating to catalytic converter slugging. HD calibrations don't even use a 'crank relearn'.
There's always a possibility that when you go to the dealer, they'll reflash your computer. When this happens (if...or) we send you another PCM.
We've never recommended shutting off TQ management. We let the competition wreck transmissions...

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

·
Registered
487 Posts
So with the Westers the TM isn't taken out? I guess I didn't know that. Is it safe to take some out? What are the advantages/disadvantages between a Westers and Nelson tune? I'm looking more for gas mileage than anything really since I don't tow all that much right now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering the same thing i am mainly after the horsepower and gas mileage. How hard is it to get the crank relearn?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a thought but for the guys looking for better mileage its going to take whole lot of fill-ups before your going to see a dime of that $400+ investement on a Wester's or Nelson tune. I've been running my $157 Wait4Me tune this past week and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The torque managemant is only in use during the shifts, so it shifts quicker. If you take out the torque managemant and you get on the throttle with a load, you could tear up your trans. Jesse at wait for me, does not recommend taking it out, however, yes you can tell its gone, if you have it removed. I dont know about you guys, but i wanna take care of my trans, so thats why i went with hypertech, it does not get rid of the torque managemant, and you can diagnose your codes and clear them. Not to mention everthing else, and if you dont want that, wait for the hyperpac.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So with the Westers the TM isn't taken out? I guess I didn't know that. Is it safe to take some out? What are the advantages/disadvantages between a Westers and Nelson tune? I'm looking more for gas mileage than anything really since I don't tow all that much right now.
Nobody in their right mind shuts off TQ management. The transmission just slowly eats itself. The main problems have been those that also don't realize that shift timing, TQ and line pressure all go hand in hand--we see a lot of mistakes made from the newbies out there.

Abuse mode, and torque management are two separate things, do different things and accomplish different things. Nelson bought programming from us when he got started...and I think you can gather what happened from there. I helped him way too much.

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

·
Registered
122 Posts
One more thing no matter what you buy for better gas mileage, it will take alot of years/ miles to pay for it.
Depends on how much you drive, doesn't it. We don't guarantee mileage results with anything, as there are too many variables. Tire inflation pressure, wheel alignment and balance, quality and octane of fuel, customer driving style, speed at which the vehicle is driven, accessories on vehicle--and useage of same...there's a lot of variables.

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bottom line is do your research and decide for yourself. I rested easy after talking to Lyndon on the phone about getting a tune. He!!, anybody can tune these motors, but few can tune them properly. I had outstanding customer support after my purchase, when I was trading in my old gasser and forgot about getting a stock PCM from Westers. They worked one in the day I called, and shipped it to me, even though they were super busy, and it was my screw up. I would be running a mild tune right now, but the LLY tunes where not out when I bought my truck. So I am sitting on a "credit" for a tuned PCM.

Here's how it worked for me. I told Lyndon what I had done to my truck mod wise, told him how I used the truck and he used that info to make a tune. IMHO, you cannot justify the purchase of a tuned pcm, or any tuner/programmer for any truck, for increase mileage. My objective was to get the best performance, without giving up mileage or longevity.

I suggest if you have question, call Wester's and get answers direct!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I get more confused every time I read a post because everyone has his/her opinion on what tune is the best. I just don't like the idea of taking the TM out of the tranny no matter how strong it is. People have replied that if you have the 2500HD it doesn't matter to take the TM out but with the 1500 you can. Why? Sounds kind of fishy. I realize the 2500HD has a heavier tranny, but won't that just prolong the unevitable? I understand that if you take the TM out you could gain some mileage, but if you don't what's the point of the tune? I would feel much safer with the programmer. Educate me if it sounds like I'm an idiot. I did some calculations and found that if you got 1.5 mpg better with 91 octane and the tune it would take approximately 50,000 miles just to break even with the cost of the tune and the higher cost of gas. I'm not trying to talk anybody out of getting a custom tune, but for me I don't think it's worth it since I just want to pick up some extra mileage. If a blow a tranny at 100,000 it wasn't worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts