Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy trying to figure out what to do! What is the general feeling for the 6.0? I'm looking at a Chevy Cutaway SRW with a 12' box from Superior. Strictly a everyday work truck. The gvw is 9600#s my current 99 GMC van is at 8800 at 90% loaded. I figure with the bigger box, and more stuff to put in it I'll be at full gvw all the time. Can I expect 150,000/5-6 yrs out of the 6.0? Any help/comments would be appreciated. It's the 6.0 or a GMC W3500 diesel{see post in Medium duty trucks}. Thanks, this is a great site!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm not familiar with the vans, however, are you sure the new one isn't either a 9200 or 9900 GVWR? As, I've never heard of a 9600 GVWR. What do you mean when you say "my current 99 GMC van is at 8800 at 90% loaded."? Is your current van 8800 GVWR? And you obtain that when your 90% loaded? Please clarify that a bit, as you may want to consider a dual rear wheel option.

As for the powertrain...150K and 5-6 years isn't unreasonable at all. My 6.0 pulls a 5-6K trailer every day and pulls it very well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Lawnboy, thanks for the reply! To clarify, the GVWR on the Gm van are 9600 #'s for the SRW and 12,000 for the DRW. I had mine weighed on a certified scale with about 90% of the usual tools/supplies I carry daily and came in at 8842#'s. My van is a 5.7 Vortex w/95K and it seems strong enough but about 10K miles ago I started using a quart of oil every 500 miles{Not a good sign}. Thats why I'm concerned about the extra weight/mileage/reliability and all with the 6.0. I do 90% city driving and use it for work only. I know I can get the DRW van, but I think the {higher/lower?} rear end gear would cut the mileage even more wouldn't it?? I'm just trying to cover all my bases before spending the 25G's or so, plus my knees are begging for the 12' box with a 6' walk in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What gear ratios do they offer with the vans?

Since the GVWR's are so different(compared to pickups), maybe they offer a 4.56:1 gear? Either get them or the 4.10:1's. These 6.0 LOVE to rev! And pulling out with 10K every day, you'll appreciate the lowest gear possible.

These new LS-1 Series engines are tough. Deep block skirt,cross bolted mains, powdered metal rods. All good stuff.

Plus, you put GAS in the tank. Available EVERYWHERE, and you don't have to worry about scored injectors, bad injection pumps, filters, and all that other stuff the oil burners do. Just get in and drive!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey Lawnboy, I was at the dealer today and checked about the GVWR and gears. The vans/cutaways come with the 4.10, he did not know if you could order them any other way, but said if i could it would jack up the price big time. The chassis are sent to the up fit place from the factory and are mainly purchased by the upfiter, if ordered special by a dealer, you pay more and have a longer wait time!! Anyway, I did test drive a 6.0 cutaway with the 12' box I was looking for, and was NOT impressed with the power of the motor, granted it only had 300 miles on it but it was really "doogy" on take off. The GVWR #'s kinda put me off to, the GVWR is 9600 and the sales guy called supreme and the curb weight of this truck is about 7600#'s, so I'll be at or over loaded everyday with the SRW. I could go DRW, but need to drive one first to see what the handling/maneuverability is. Apartment/Commercial parking lots don't give me too many options on were I can park! Anyway, thanks a lot for the info, I'm kind of hooked on this site now so I'll be watching/posting more.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The 6.0 is a good motor. They are all the same really, same design just different size. Someone said they like to rev, that is very true. peak HP is north of 4K I think, not a lugging motor. I have one in the family stable and have never had any real trouble with it, it will get up and go but you gotta tell it to(read mash the pedal).

they do develop piston slap as they break in. Basically the cylinders and the piston wear differently and a slight space opens up around the piston. Potentially this could cause issues but @ 60k on ours its not a problem. They do have a noisy valvetrain, lots of clatter on cold starts.

These little issues are a factor of modern design, ford and dodge have the same issues, trying to lighten top ends and reduce rotaing mass, but GM builds the best motors out there so don't worry!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with 403turbo - the 6.0L are solid and very reliable motor. My truck has them under the hood and it has been absolutely troublefree ever since. Even when it is 20 below zero, it will fire right away. I have been using it mostly for work, pulling trailers and snowplowing/salting in the winter. Even when the snow is wet and heavy, the 6.0L still has plenty of pushing power. The 4L80E tranny has also been solid and very reliable too. Never a problem either. I am pretty happy with my truck and I love it.

For those who are putting a snowplow on GM trucks, it is highly recommended to install a set of Timbrens to help support the front ends. It helped mine significantly. I am sure it will pay for itself in short time because it is supposely to help reduce wear and tear on the suspension syste, also helping the truck being more stable for safety.

My next mod. would be to install May-Hytec deep tranny pan so it would accominate more ATF which should help the tranny run cooler especially when snowplowing. I also will be switching to sythetic all around the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My one concern right now with the 6.0 is pretty much gas mileage along with the constant load it will have to endure. 403turbo and wxmn6, what do average when loaded? I am going to check out the DRW, I just passed my A/C, EPA certification and will now be added that to my growing list of supplies that I will be carrying. It's are real debate for me the cutaway is $22K vs. the W3500 at $29K and $7K for me right now is a bunch.
But mileage and longevity/reliability really keep me awake at night, need to decide in 2 weeks. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I usually get around 10-12 MPG empty during cold winter, 12-14 MPG empty during the summer. Low end numbers are in town/city, high end numbers are highway.

As for towing, the MPG didn't really drop too much. Probably drop 1 or 2 MPG. If it is really heavy load, then I would predict that MPG would drop a bit more. I never really haul a such heavy load on my truck bed .... just mainly on trailers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just to give you my experience with the 6.0, I sold my 2000 Chevy 2500 three months ago with 238,000 miles on it. Granted, it wasn't worked as hard on a daily basis as yours will be, but it held up extremely well. Water pump & EGR was replaced at 185k, alternator at 193k, & fuel pump at 207k. The last 30k miles were trouble free. Sold it to a friend of mine, so you know it wasn't worn out or I wouldn't have sold it to him. Truck would get me 16+ mpg on the interstate, 13-14 mpg general farm use, & 11-12 mpg pulling a 6500 lb trailer. Only changed the oil when the oil life monitor told me to (usually 6-7000 mile change intervals). Was burning about a quart of oil every 5000 miles when I sold it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but I love my Duramax.
Hope this helps you out a little bit. I never get tired of telling anyone who will listen about my last truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with everyone here. The 6.0L is a strong motor and can get the job done, within it's limits of course. I have 62,000 on my 01' HD and the engine has never missed a beat. It is a bit on the noisey side at cold starts like mentioned above, but it runs strong. Even better than stock with the Westers tune I have. With proper servicing these truck will last a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies! I'm still waiting for the W3500 to be delivered so I can check it out and make a decision. I am hoping that I can get a deal on it, the price of gas is up to $2.05
from $1.89 in 1 week! Diesel is at $1.75 at some stations, most at $1.79. Big difference!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now reading through this list made me feel better. I have a 2002
1500HD with 34,000 on it. Mostly driven to work, which is 25
miles each way. Have been worried about the engine noise
on cold starts. GM did extend my warranty.

So far no problems. Pulls my little trailer great.

braz

·
Banned
798 Posts
brazos said:
Now reading through this list made me feel better. I have a 2002
1500HD with 34,000 on it. Mostly driven to work, which is 25
miles each way. Have been worried about the engine noise
on cold starts. GM did extend my warranty.

So far no problems. Pulls my little trailer great.

braz
They had production tolerance problem with piston clearances in bores that they have tried to blow off as sticky rings. The pistons can rattle in bores when cold until they swell with heat and is louder, the colder it gets. It is more of a annouyance than anything but it will get worse with age (after you trade it of or warranty runs out) They really should fix it correctly but there are a lot of them out there and they do not want to start a trend. Otherwise, the 6.0 is a very capable engine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres the latest update: the "boss" said that the new truck is going to be in on 7/23/04. Well, that happens to be a "Friday" so I won't be real disappointed if that doesn't happen!! Anyway, I really do not know what exactly was ordered so I'll be just as surprised to see what I'm going to get. I'm just glad those people in the office know more about what I do and or need, than I do, or I think I'd be in real trouble!! But, they pay the bills{including gas and service} so who am I to judge!! Update: gas $1.94 diesel $1.72 Gas seems to go up to around $1.99 every other week, diesel stays the same!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts