Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide to stay with the Delvac 1300 or switch to rotella before winter sets in. I put about 3000 miles a month on the truck so I change the oil about every 5000 miles. At 5000 my DIC shows 50% oil life. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Both are quality oils ..... I preferred running a 5 weight startup in the winter months tho .... According to a TSB on high start up "cold region" oil pressure in 01 trucks and proper oil filter use ... There is a copy in the TSB forum ...

I switched to Mobil Delvac synthetic 5w 40 and run year round,didn't wont look back .....

Sorry if I threw anouther wrench into your decision making....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
994 Posts
Oils can sometimes be more controversial than fuel filters. But here are my thoughts on your question.

The Shell Rotella Synthetic (5W-40) is a Group III based product. Not really a synthethic but a highly refined petroleum product. The Mobil product is only a Group II based product (good, but not as good as a Group III basestock) The 5W-40 rating may be what is needed during the winter months in Ohio. (The manual shows use 15W-40 down to 0 deg F. and 5W-40 below that.) Not sure if it gets below that in Ohio during the winter. You may want to leave some margin though.

With regard to the additives in the oils, since the Rotella Synthetic product still has a "CH" rating while the Mobil Delvac 1300 is rated "CI", I suspect that the additives are more robust in the Mobil product. One of the main reasons for going from "CH" to "CI" is for the diesel engines equipped with a Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. All California trucks like mine (2002 and newer) have an EGR system. Your Ohio truck does not. So a "CH" rating is sufficient, though if there are no other discriminating factors (like oil viscosity in this case) you should always choose the CI rated oil.

If you want to read up on oil products, the following is a good website:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

If given the two choices you mention and living in a cold winter environment, I would choose the Rotella for the winter months.

A fully synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel motor oil (group IV basestock) is the Mobil Delvac1. This product is not available at retail locations and is higher priced. However, it would give you the best protection on cold start-ups in the winter months. You can obtain the product at AVLUBE, an advertiser on this website.

Regards,

Alan

And on edit: I run Mobil Delvac1 year around also. While a cold winter night in So Cal is 40 deg F
, during the summer months while going boating to the Colorado river, it can get to 115 deg F. I like the protection that Delvac 1 provides.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mackin

Not another wrench, I was actually looking at the delvac 1 first but have been unable to find it local at a decent price. It's already getting in the low 30's here at night so I need to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well I won't start a which oil is better debate, but anything that has the API certification and is listed as a synthetic, is more than likely a better oil than conventional dino oils.

Anyhow at 7000(my 3rd oil change) I went to Rotella synthetic. Better than conventional and a great price at less than $14 a gallon. Since I don't work my truck very hard, I'm more than satisfied. Also, since like you I change at around 5000, half of the supposed oil life we can run to, I don't see much benefit to going with the higher priced oils.

Plus I'm also in WI and it does get cold here. I've also decided just to stick with the 5w40 year round.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Victory Red

Where do you find it for 14.00 a gallon, cheapest around here is 18.88 at walmart.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Victory Red,

Your absolutely correct, Group IV is better than Group III while Group III is better than Group II from a basestock point of view. You also need to look at the additives that each manufacture uses.

Shell Rotella Synthetic is more than adequate for the environment we all use these vehicles in (the exception might be someone in Alaska during winter or Death Valley in the summer).

From a cost point of view, no one here can really justify using Delvac1. This product was really developed for the Big Rigs on the road who use bypass filtration and go 50 to 70K between oil changes. The big advantage of the Delvac1 is that the viscosity of the oil does not break down under big loads. I use it though and it cost twice as much as the Shell product.

The reality is all the current Diesel motor oils (CI rated ones in particular) are great oils. Pick any one of them and you will be fine. The basic engine (from a lubrication point of view) will most likely outlast the frame/body/interior of the truck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have seen the Walmart prices fluctuate from $12 to the $18 figure that you mention. Their pricing has done this two or three times over the last year.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Mobil Delvac 1300S is rather a unique oil in that the basestock used is actually a blend of very high VI Group II+ and Group I. One of the problems with group II base stock engine oils that Group II oils are somewhat deficient in natural detergency and the ability to hold additives in suspension. One generally only thinks of Group I and its deficiencies or as the 'old' outdated oil, having been replaced by Group II oils. However, high quality base stock Group I oil has excellent natural detergency and additive suspension qualities. This is very much like what Mobil did with Delvac 1. Group IV has similar qualities to Grouop II/III oils in that it is very stable chemically and thus not so good at natural detergency and really bad at keeping additives in suspension. 30 years ago one had to literally shake the Delvac 1 bottles prior to putting the oil in an engine, as a portion of the additives had alrerady settled to the bottom of the container!

So, Mobil added ester synthetic base stock as a supplement to the PAO used in Delvac 1; ester basestock has excellent natural detergency + kept the additives in suspension as well.

Long story, but Delvac 1300S is only mineral based oil I am familiar with that has superb cleanliness, can hold a load of additives in suspension (i.e. contains more of the good detergency, anti-wear than a comparable Group II mineral based oil as the straight Group II just can't keep the additives in suspension!) and has cold flow capabilities that are closer to a full synthetic than a mineral based equivalent. Delvac 1300S pours to -26F and on the pumpability side (most important in winter) has a 10W rating..

Delvac 1300S was developed in conjunction with Caterpillar off-highway lubrication requirements. i.e. it is one heavy duty motor oil, for real, providing an extraordinary level of protection, cleanliness for our Duramax engines..

Next best thing to Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic....

George Morrison

·
Registered
994 Posts
A number of oils use a blend of basestocks. What are the percentages in Mobil 1300S (Group I, Group II+, and Group IV). My suspicion is that the Group IV PAO's are only 5% (a guess though!!)

On edit: The true competitor to Delvac 1300 S is Chevron Delo 400. An excellent oil. My choice prior to switching to Delvac1.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Georgecls

did some testing with Chevron and Orinite labs a few years back on 5 engines and they were talking about a process called hydrocrack. would this be the base oil that the semi synthetic oils are useing.

Geno

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too was at the same dilemma. I use Chevron Delo 15W-40 and wanted to go to thinner viscosity oil for the winter. It gets in the single digits around here on some days and the teens on many days; I also park all day at work without a block heater. After researching this forum I just bought today, some 5W-40 Rotella at $12.88 a gallon. It may not be as good as the Delvac 1 with the CI rating at $25 gallon but is more than adequate protection for my use.

BTW… Thanks CS-Dmax and K1xv for setting me straight on the API ratings. That helped me with my decision. This is really a great forum for information.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
10 ton our local Walmart has it for 13.48 a gallon most of the time. Hard to find there though, almost always sold out. Then we have a local chain called Farm and Fleet/Fleet Farm. They carry it for around 14-14.50 per gallon. I wish they'd start offering it in gallon cases though like the standard Rotella's. Or even better yet a five gallon bucket.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Damn OC_Dmax, I was right??? First time for everything. Well as stated earlier I switched to the lighter syn at 7000, now at 15,300 and except for the first oil change, no oil consumption. I think I'm doing better for my truck. I'll let you know in another 150,000

·
Registered
227 Posts
I saw Rotella Syn 5w40 at Wallys the other night for $12.84 a gallon. The Rotella T 15w40 was $6.27 a gallon. I keep thinking here in Michigan I should run the 5w40 for the winter at least.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The last time I was at Wal-Mart, the Rotella syn was $12.88 per gallon. I bought all 13 gallons they had. Right now I'm using the Rotella T and have enough for one last oil change before the cold winter rolls in. I don't think I will switch back after I'm out of the Rotella T.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Used to run Rotella T in the summer and Amsoil 5w-30 diesel syn in the winter up in Alaska. I now run Rotella 5w-40 syn and will keep using it year round.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Victory Red,

Check again at Farm & Fleet. Here in Madison, I bought a case (six one gallon bottles) of Rotella 5w-40 for $88. I am ready for our cold WI winters now too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just checked at Fleet Farm and they only carry Rotella T.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well Maverick on your way to MI you can stop at several at them on your way here in Milwaukee.

PA24, mine never has them in cases. I'll have to ask at the counter next time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts