Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time finding 5w-40 dino oil any help would be great.

BOY, THIS WEATHER SUCKS.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
379 Posts
sams,walley world & cost co. $55.00 for a case of 6 one gallon jugs.
i just did the price matching after dinner today.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fishingdude;1574892; said:

BOY, THIS WEATHER SUCKS.

Thanks, Rick
There is no 5W-40 dino oil for our trucks. 5W-40 is synthetic oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
John Armstrong;1575323; said:
:exactly:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Fishingdude;1574892; said:

BOY, THIS WEATHER SUCKS.

Thanks, Rick
Still looking...
John Armstrong;1575323; said:
I'm not going to look anymore....

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Shell Rotella T 5W40 is called "synthetic" but is actually a blended grade III dino oil base, so if you've got some kind of "synthophobia" you will be safe with the Rotella! It's also great oil, great for winter and fine for year-round use.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Idle_Chatter;1579298; said:
Shell Rotella T 5W40 is called "synthetic" but is actually a blended grade III dino oil base, so if you've got some kind of "synthophobia" you will be safe with the Rotella! It's also great oil, great for winter and fine for year-round use.
I don't believe that Shell could legally say that it is if it wasn't a true synthetic.

From the Shell Rotella web site:

Is SHELL ROTELLA Synthetic a real synthetic?

Yes! Shell ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is made with synthetic base stocks that have been made through a process of chemical synthesis of feed material called isomerization.

Go to: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework....html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/welcome.html

and then search the FAQ section.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yes they can - Castrol broke that law several years ago. Shell Rotella-T synthetic is a grade III dino oil ("blended" by admission on the site you quote) and NOT a true synthetic made from grade IV PAO base (Polyalphaolephine). Grade III is the highest possible grade of dino oil, and there are some synthetic stocks blended in - so it's still excellent oil and performs as a synthetic, but it is mostly a dino base.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thankful;1579793; said:
I don't believe that Shell could legally say that it is if it wasn't a true synthetic.

From the Shell Rotella web site:

Is SHELL ROTELLA Synthetic a real synthetic?

Yes! Shell ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is made with synthetic base stocks that have been made through a process of chemical synthesis of feed material called isomerization.

Shell actually uses dino based oil for the so called synthetic oil.
There are already other threads that address this question.
And, there was a lawsuit by Mobil, I believe, that ended up with oil companies being able to call their dino based oil synthetic. It has something to do with how they modify the base stock.
Obviously I'm not a chemist and can't give you all the details but in the end Shell does use dino based oil and calls it synthetic.
By the way, I undeerstand that it is just about as good as any PAO(or whatever) synthetic.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
btfarm;1580432; said:
Here we go again... Better get me some popcorn.;)

Do you want that with butter, sir?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Naw, it's all good. Rotella-T is really good oil and I've used a bunch of it. It's just "semi-synthetic" but that doesn't matter much because it's also less expensive than the real synthetics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts