Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ... i have a '11 duramax with 6"BDS lift and 35's ... I just bought a '06 fleetwood wilderness 5th wheel travel trailer that i have to travel to the States to pick up... I've read that the '11's came with higher box sides to complicate 5th wheel clearence...

Is anyone pulling and experiencing troubles / rubbing? I cant flip the trailer axeles yet. Is there a specific hitch that would work with my lift?

·
Registered
311 Posts
You are going to have problems towing unless you have the trailer axles flipped. If you are unsure what you are doing, it is best to read and learn all that you can before you go down. Best to keep trailer as level as possible when towing keeping the weight distributed evenly between tbe trailer axles. If you need to haul as it is then do not add any more weight into trailer when bringing it home. Also, watch your bed clearance on uneven road. How far are you going. I had to pull mine bqck from flint 2 winters ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didnt relize there was a tow section ... i'll look over there.
The trailer is in the states as stated in first post - hense the inquiry... all im concerned about is the bed clearance , with the tall sides and my lift. I guess a 5th wheel hitch on the highest setting might work....

Will be towing from Arizona to Alberta

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
That's a long tow to handle with a trailer that may be quite unlevel. As mentioned, weight distribution between the trailer axles is a big concern as well as bed clearance - if you are left with the nose of the trailer way in the air you're going to be carrying a lot of extra weight on the rear axle of the trailer.

Make sure you have a good spare and the tools necessary to change tires on the side of the road...ESPECIALLY if the trailer tires are the typical Carlisle chinese bomb factory tires.

·
Registered
430 Posts
As others have said the trailer is going to sit all wrong at best, and at worst it's flat-out not going to clear. It looks like you have a regular bed from your avatar, not a long bed. If so the only hitch you want to consider is a PullRite SuperGlide. That's what I have, and I used the 3" hitch spacer they sell to get more bed-rail clearance (this is a much better way to do it than dropping the pin box). However, that only will make the nose-up attitude of the trailer worse since the capture plate surface will be another 3" higher. With that setup I have tons of bed rail clearance and have towed through some pretty crazy angles in the dunes with no fear of whacking the rails with my trailer.

Here's how my setup sits. This is a '11 with the front leveled, stock rear height, ~34" tires (275/70-18) and a Weekend Warrior LE 3505+2'.

NOTE: my trailer axles are flipped, and my truck isn't even lifted. I'd actually like the trailer to sit a hair higher, and will probably do that via increasing the tire height when it's due for tires. You are going to need flipped axles AND a lift. It can be done, and can be done right and safely. A lot of duners tow with big lifts and lifted 5'ers. Personally, I didn't want to have the trailer any higher up than it is already so I didn't lift my truck. If you plan on towing your 5'er a lot I'd really think about ditching the lift...

-TJ

·
Registered
926 Posts
TJ^ is right. Good advice. I still have a lift on mine but i dropped my bars all the way down and replaced the 6" lift blocks with 3" on the rear. About as low as i can get.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Your rig is going to look like a giraffe trying to mount an elephant.
I fear the rear bumper of the trailer will almost be dragging the ground.
Not a good combination at all.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
Moved to Towing

·
Registered
179 Posts
In my opinion you'd be better off getting a different truck to go get the trailer. That is a long, long way to try and tow a combination that can't possibly be set up correctly. I would bet you could hire someone to bring the trailer to you for about what you'd spend in fuel, food, and hotels.
If you try it I'd plan on having someone flip the axles at least before you try and come home.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How far? The states is a pretty big place last time i checked? Did i miss something here!

·
Registered
179 Posts
You missed that he's towing form Arizona to Alberta.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks tjZ06 ... Thats the advise i was looking for ...I wonder about "blocking"the hitch to raise it , never thought about a pin "extention"
This is my first 5th wheel ... I've flipped the axels on the bumper pulss too.Up here i usually tow my trailers to were im working and live in them and then back home when done - nothing inbetween or vacation-ee about it :rolleyes:. So instead of looking for a used dually just to haul the 5th wheel it would be nice to have the ability to slip in a certian hitch that would clear.
KD4UPL ... thats the way im leaning... a friend has a 2002 dodge dually... that i may borrow. Shipping quotes so far are between $2100 and I have one for $1000 but may not fit my schedual , and thats just to great falls. I would only take ~20 hrs non stop to get there, and then probly a day and half to get back.

Hers's unrelated pics of the two -

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks tjZ06 ... Thats the advise i was looking for ...I wonder about "blocking"the hitch to raise it , never thought about a pin "extention"
This is my first 5th wheel ... I've flipped the axels on the bumper pulss too.Up here i usually tow my trailers to were im working and live in them and then back home when done - nothing inbetween or vacation-ee about it :rolleyes:. So instead of looking for a used dually just to haul the 5th wheel it would be nice to have the ability to slip in a certian hitch that would clear.
KD4UPL ... thats the way im leaning... a friend has a 2002 dodge dually... that i may borrow. Shipping quotes so far are between $2100 and I have one for $1000 but may not fit my schedual , and thats just to great falls. I would only take ~20 hrs non stop to get there, and then probly a day and half to get back.

Hers's unrelated pics of the two -

Here's the hitch you want:
http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_16.htm

I suggest the "Quick Connect" capture plate:
http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_capt.htm

This is the 3" lift:
http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/4408.pdf

And this is the mounting kit for the '11+:
http://www.makariosrv.com/pullrite-superrail-mounting-kit-3521/

Looking at your truck it looks like you have a ton of clearance. Could you go to a block that is maybe 1-2" shorter in the back and turn the torsion bars back down a bit in front? If you could do that and get the axles flipped with just a c-hair of lift added to the trailer before you pick it up I think you'd be okay. I'm not sure what your timing would be to get the trailer, and if there is a trustworthy local RV shop where you're buying it or not. But one option would be to order all the hitch stuff and have it sent to the shop (or have them order it if they can get you a fair price) then have the seller of the trailer meet you with the trailer at the shop. They can do the install on your truck (lower your truck as much as you're comfortable with keeping it at beforehand), measure the installed hitch height, then do the axle-flip/lift on the trailer to get the right height.

I'm not familiar with that particular brand/model of trailer, but if it's anything like most 5'er Toy Haulers you might want to have them brace up the frame and all the spring hangers a bit while doing the flip.

-TJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again TJ ... De-lifting is not an option i want to entertain... I hope that the next new truck i buy in a year , i can just enjoy as the general made it ... lifts ALWAYS make my life harder but i just cant seem to not put them on...
And as much as i will be pulling this unit spending hefty cash on that hitch , for someone else to benifit when i trade in, doesnt sit well with me either... I like the idea of buying a used dually just to tow my 5th around ... that i can rationalize for some reason :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Where in Arizona is the trailer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I second the watch the bed clearance. Switched from an '06 (GMT800) to an '07 (GMT900) several years back with a gooseneck and proceeded to bust the corner above the taillight off the '07 dually bed :mad: on the side of the road when the trailer dropped into a massive hole while turning around. Luckily it was a company truck.:) I don't recall the recommended clearance - 4" or something. Something you only do once.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have towed fivers for 20+ yrs and agree you will likely have problems with the combo. First, there is no hitch that can solve a height problem. The Superglide addresses cab clearance issues with short bed trucks. Now, for some numbers. Fivers are manufactured with a king pin height of 46-47 inches (level trailer). Very few brands actually list this in their documentation, but several do, Sunnybrook is one as I recall. Nominal pin box drop is 12 inches, so the trailer body is around 58-59 inches above the ground. For reference, my fiver, parked in my garage is slightly nose high and measures 60 inches. Clearance between the truck bed rails and the underside of the fiver should be 4 inches minimum, 6 inches preferred. The pin weight will drop your truck 2 inches or less. So, for the fiver to be level with 6 inches clearance, unloaded height of the truck bed rails needs to be 54 inches.

While the hitch and pin box are both adjustable, those adjustments will only change the clearance between the bed rails and the fiver body. With a lifted truck, the only way to get a level fiver is to lift it as well. Most fivers today already have the axles mounted under the springs. Some have spring hangers with multiple holes, but typically just one extra for at most a 2 inch lift. Some owners add blocks and longer U-bolts between the axle and springs, similar to other vehicle lifts.

Towing out-of-level is more than just excess weight on the rear axle. The rear axle has reduced suspension travel with damage to the springs/axle/wheel and greater shock to the entire trailer frame, body and appliances.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.