Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to trade the toy hauler in for a new one, is 5th wheel the way to go? never owned one. heard it was easy, what about turns, and backing up?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I have never towed a 5th wheel with a pick up....but i have towed pleanty of bumper pulls....including my parents 27' camper and a 28' inclosed car trailer weighing in around 10k pounds..i also drive tractor trailer with a 40' lowboy trailer...and there are places that i can put that 40' trailer that i would not think of putting the 28' bumper pull....if you have a long box you will be able to do the same with a 5th wheel camper (short box will limit your turning due to cab clearence)....aside from the manuverability of a 5th wheel...they are much more stable to tow..your pin weight is right over your axles as opposed to hanging off the back of your truck...i would def suggest getting a 5th wheel if you can...but thats just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Go with a 5th wheel I'm glad I did

·
Registered
177 Posts
5th wheels are awesome, no sway, easy to turn and back up, shoot, you prolly won't even notice it back there. And if ya have the 6' box, go with a reese quick slide hitch, I have one, even though I haven't used the slide, but I feel better knowing I can if I need to.

·
Registered
768 Posts
once you go fifthwheel you will never go back, i cant say enough as to how well or how much better a 5er is soooooo much better that a bumper pull. i pull my toy hauler atleat 10k a year

·
Registered
459 Posts
Had a WW FT2200. . . my new rig is in the sig.

The 5er's are so much more stable when towing.

My new rig is about a mile longer than the old rig so, no comparison for turning.

Hook up is a snap!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I will take a 5th wheel any day over TT. I just wish we hauled more 5ers.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You don't say what your truck is...2500/3500. If you have a 3/4 ton, check the pin weight, some toy haulers are very heavy...too much for a 3/4.

·
Registered
324 Posts
5th wheel all the way. I started with a 27' bumper pull TT and will never go back. The 5th wheel is much easier to tow and manuver into place.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree about the 5th wheel being more manuverable ect but sure does cause problems trying bring the Elk and Deer home for box space in the truck.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Bobaloo;1603523; said:
I agree about the 5th wheel being more manuverable ect but sure does cause problems trying bring the Elk and Deer home for box space in the truck.
He is buying a toyhauler, you could open butcher store in the garage):h):h.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
nextlevel38;1602315; said:
once you go fifthwheel you will never go back, i cant say enough as to how well or how much better a 5er is soooooo much better that a bumper pull. i pull my toy hauler atleat 10k a year
Ditto:p:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go for the fifth wheel, more camper for the buck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go with the fifth wheel, much easier to tow and no sway and much easier to hook up. I have pulled both and will never go back to a travel trailer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go for the 5th wheel you won't regret it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went 5th wheel, but have to watch my pin weight as I have the 2500HD. Pretty close to Gross with this truck, but it can be done. I doubt I would ever go back to a TT again. Next truck will be 3500HD or MDT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
5th wheel all the way. I was 20yrs old driving an international with a 22' Box Trailer and it was a joke. Backing into regular drivesways, with heavy traffic, could do it first time once you get the hang of it. Go for it

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not even close - 5vers is usually better made and are MUCH easier to hookup and pull. Much easier.

·
Registered
797 Posts
SLG;1601715; said:
looking to trade the toy hauler in for a new one, is 5th wheel the way to go? never owned one. heard it was easy, what about turns, and backing up?

We had a tow trailer for about 6 years, lots of sway on the road, we now own a 5th wheel (last 4 years) and pulling is much better, also hitching up is much easier. I would recommend a dual pivot slider style hitch for you CC SB

On turns with a 5th you need to swing wide on corners (vs. a TT) as you will drive over curbs and stuff !! backing up takes a little getting use to, when our 5th starts going the wrong way, it takes more truck effort to get it straightened out that with our TT (more than often you will even need to go forward to straighten the 5th out). If you get a slider hitch and move it back during backing it will help with rear backing control.

With your CC SB you should be carefull about the size of 5th you buy, you could go over your truck GVW with a bigger 5th....our 5th is 25ft & 8,200lbs with 1,400lbs hitch weight..and I only have 700lbs to max my 9,200lb truck GVW.

If your looking at a 30+ft 5th at 12k-14k lbs and a tongue weight of 2k+ your will most likely be over your truck GVW

Do the math first before you buy...good luck, hope this info helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts