Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hooked up my 5th wheel for the first time on my 06 Sliverado. The trailer sits high in front about 4 inches mesuring from the ground to the curve under of the skin. The space between the bottom of the 5th wheel and the Retrax bed rail is about 5 1/2" so I guess that is about right. The truck levels out good with 40-50 psi in the RITE-RIDES. The tortion bars are cranked and I'm running 285/70R/17 tires. Is 4" too much or should I try rasing to the next hole of the spring equalizer? There are also holes to raise the spring shackle. I have never messed with this type of spring setup and don't want any suprises. If I change it I want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
level it

You should get the fiver level if you do much towing. With it 4" nose high, the rear axle/tires may be overloaded. 5-1/2 " clearance is marginal, depends on where you measured it, at the truck axle or at the tailgate which will be less with the fiver nose high. 6" to 7" would be better with a level fiver. If the fiver has adjustable shackle mounts, not a big deal to raise it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Level as possible is best

As level as possible is best. This will keep even load on all tires of a multi-axle trailer. If it is tipped one way too far and overloads either axle it can cause tire failure. Raising the trailer using the spring equalizer and shackle adjustments is not a big deal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So using a floor jack and jack stands, just jack it up securely one side at a time. The bolts are at the lowest point. There are a set of holes one inch from the existing placement and a hole about 3 inches below that, but those holes look like if used it would be too much and the mounts less sturdy. Should I undo the spring shackle and equalizer bolts and remove all together and then reposition in the next hole for all three bolts. I’m a little nervous releasing springs, it has been many years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a

1 - 5 of 5 Posts