Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok I broke down and had the fuel filter changed early. Service dept kept telling me to wait till 7500 on the change but all the posts here showed different. I was not really sure what to think when I saw this . Did the filter do it's job? Do I need to go with another in-line filter?

I buy all my fuel from the same place( Flying J ). Should I start looking for another fuel station? Sunoco? I do not use any additive as YET! I am confused on which one to buy,(Emulsifying Non-Emulsifying)?

With all the warranty issues on the fuel system and injectors, Should I show this to my service tech?
Only 5800 miles on the truck, Maybe I need to change fuel filter when I change oil every 3000miles? Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Did you use a pet muskrat to get that thing open? Seems to me that a fuel system that recirculates fuel will always be cleaning the fuel. Versus a fuel system that only lets the fuel pass through the fliter one time? Could expalin why filters are so dirty?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The black area shows how much of your filter was being used. You had a good way to go before getting used up. The rust may have been there from new, or a little water laying in the bottom. None of this SHOULD be getting past your filter as this is on the incoming side of the filter. The clean fuel is on the inside of the filter media, the out flow side.

Your three piece fuel filter opening kit in the backround of picture one reminds me of me opening mine.
I HAVE to get a Tavia filter cutter.

Steve

·
Registered
444 Posts
Bronco said:
Did you use a pet muskrat to get that thing open?

I thought HisDMAX's mice got to it

Sure looks like the filter material could go a lot longer. The only thing is what is that rust going to be like then
? That's scary even if it's before the filter.

I am thinking the filter must be doing it's job with the water precipitating and collecting on the bottom.

I have 14,500 miles on my filter. I think I change it withing the next week or so.

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>Mine was changed by Eric at 6000 miles, to my recollection it was much cleaner than yours. At that time I was not running any additive at all.</DIV>
<DIV>Now I have A pre filter and use additives faithfully.</DIV>
<DIV>I'll see at the next filter change if it made any difference.</DIV>

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No muskrat,

Maybe Mice, I have been using my block heater

So I guess this is normal and I should not be to concerned about it

Wondered about showing to the service tech for future reference should injector issues arrise.

Might try Sunoco this go/around Don't guess it could hurt

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here's my first filter at 9200 miles. The truck sat for 7 months before I bought it with 50 miles on it. Total calendar time on the filter is about 11 months. The 'can' on this one was spotless. I used Power Service addative for most of that 9200 miles. I'm going to use Howes for the next 9200 and see what happens. I buy fuel from the same six or seven stations (one or two around town and the rest during monthly trips).

Here is a new NAPA filter (bagged) that already had surface rust spots on it.

Edited by: Kartattack

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Paul,

Your post motivated me to do a little homework on fuel quality and additives. Here goes.

From Dmax supplement. Number 2-D diesel fuel year round. ASTM D975-00(Grade low sulfur) and for improved performance EMA (FQP-1A). Now we just have to find out who uses this quality of fuel.

As far as additives are concerned this info. is contained in a T.S.B. from GM.

The use of diesel fuel additives is not required or recommended for the 6.5L diesel or the 6.6L Duramax(R) Diesel engine under normal conditions. The filtering system is designed to block water and contaminants without the use of additives. However, some customers may desire to use fuel additives to improve the characteristics of available diesel fuels.

Water Emulsifiers and Demulsifiers

If the customer desires to use a fuel additive, care must be taken in its selection. There are two common methods that fuel additives use to cope with water in the fuel. One method is through demulsification of water in the fuel. This method causes water particles to combine together to form larger particles, which drop out of suspension. This allows the fuel filter/water separator to separate the water from the fuel as it is designed to. The other method of coping with water in the fuel is through emulsification. This method, often using alcohol as the emulsifier, keeps water particles suspended in the fuel. Emulsification of water in the fuel can allow water to get past the fuel filter/water separator, in most cases causing damage to the fuel system.

Only alcohol free water demulsifiers should be used in General Motors diesel engines. Both *Racor(R) and *Stanadyne(R) diesel fuel additives are alcohol free and utilize water demulsifiers to cope with water in the fuel. Other brands may be available in different areas; be sure that they clearly state that they are alcohol free demulsifiers before use.

*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

COMMON DIESEL FUEL CONCERNS Fuel Waxing/Icing

Fuel distributors blend # 1 and # 2 diesel fuels for seasonal requirements in a particular region. No other blending of fuels is recommended. However, a customer may desire to use a winter fuel additive to prevent fuel waxing or icing during extreme cold snaps. If a winter fuel additive is to be used, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers that may compromise the water removal effectiveness of the fuel filtering system.

Bacteria and Fungi Growth

Bacteria and fungi growth can occur in diesel fuel when there is water present, especially during warmer weather. The best prevention against bacteria and fungi growth is to use clean fuel that is free of water. There are diesel fuel biocides available which are designed to kill bacterial growth in the fuel system. However, the dead bacteria can still cause blockages throughout the fuel system. If bacterial growth is found in the fuel system, the proper method of removal is to flush the fuel system using Service Manual procedures, replace the fuel filter element, and refill the tank with clean diesel fuel. If a customer desires to use a biocide after flushing the fuel system, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Low Cetane Number

The cetane number is one indicator of a diesel fuel's ability to ignite. There are many indicators of overall fuel quality such as cleanliness, specific gravity, volatility, viscosity, detergency, corrosion inhibiting abilities, and lubricity. Increasing the celane number alone is not a fix for poor quality fuel. Additionally, increasing the cetane number beyond the engine's requirements will not increase performance. However, the cetane number of diesel fuel is not always consistent and some customers may

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bronco said:
My understanding of the warranty is as follows. As long as you meet the above stated conditions and do not drive with the SES light on and the water in fuel light on your warranty is going to stay in full effect for 100K!

Makes sense, I hope this is the way the dealer and GM will look at it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just changed my OEM filter at 11000 miles and my can and filter looked just like kartattack. Used Stanadyne.

·
Registered
85 Posts
PAUL3500

I would not show it to your service folks. IMHO Not at least without further reading here regarding rust and the fuel system. I remember someone posting (George Morrison I think) about rust in the fuel system being a possible warrenty void! I don't know if that means past the filter or anywhere in the system, but I would read more before showing it to them. I wouldn't give them any reason to void your warrenty.

My filter had just about as much rust at 9200 Mi. I have been using an additive for about 1000 mi. Nicktane going on in the next couple weeks and will continue using additive. I'll see what the next filter looks like.

Mike

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Bronco,

I think I have to agree with you. They don't say these are the only additives you can use just that they know those two meet their spec's. The most interesting line is the staement under "poor lubricity" that using a lubricating additive would increase fuel system component longevity. Does GM know something here?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
The filters with a water seperater are suposed to have rust in the bottom. Thats where the water sits for however long you keep the filter on your truck. If there was no rust that would mean either your supply has no water and you keep your tank full at all times or you use the additive that lets water pass throught the filter and into the engine.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
They do make filters with glass bottom bowls for the water to store .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts