Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this seem right? Just curious.

Another thought.

Parts department closed on Saturday at this dealership. While I was there I was going to order 06 towing mirrors. I knew I would pay a little more than if I ordered for GMpartsdirect, but I thought I would give the local dealer some business. Their hours are M-F 9-5, I drive by this dealer M-F at 7:am and on my way home at 5:30PM, how am I supposed to do business with them? Take off work? I guess I could call them to order and then take off early when they come in. That sucks. I can order form GMpartsdirect and have them shipped to my work and get them cheaper in the process.

:rant:

·
Registered
912 Posts
You guys crack me up. You buy a $45,000 truck and then complain about $135 for an oil change and fuel filter. Do you guys work for free? What do you make an hour? And then they have insurance, electricity, mortage(rent), employee wages, EPA, disposal. I am sure flat rate is about 1/2 an hour for the fuel filter. Well, by the time they write you up, do the filter and bill you out, they have spent over a 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
You guys crack me up. You buy a $45,000 truck and then complain about $135 for an oil change and fuel filter. Do you guys work for free? What do you make an hour? And then they have insurance, electricity, mortage(rent), employee wages, EPA, disposal. I am sure flat rate is about 1/2 an hour for the fuel filter. Well, by the time they write you up, do the filter and bill you out, they have spent over a 1/2 hour.
Come on over then... I'll be glad to change yours out at $135 a pop.

What's the point of the dealer "writing me up"? There is no record of them doing my oil changes when I asked. They wasted their time.

I need all the used oil I can get. Free Heat in my shop furnace! EPA that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just changed my fuel filter cost 45 for the filter(from the stealer wanted to do it now and not wait for one shipped to me) and it took all of about 30 minutes(first time ever changing one) You can get a filter from one of the vendors here for 28 bucks. It is even the new dual pleat filter.
Not sure on the oil change need to do that in about a month.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You guys crack me up. You buy a $45,000 truck and then complain about $135 for an oil change and fuel filter. Do you guys work for free? What do you make an hour?
I consider time spent doing things for myself as "free".... even if I could hire out something for the same cost as buying materials at retail, I'll still do it myself. Any excuse to buy a new tool!

And yes, I spent over 50k on a truck and I don't trust the shaved monkeys at the dealerships to do something as simple as change the oil.

If I had done that, they would have used Dex-III instead of Dex-VI to top off when replacing my Allison spin-on, they PROBABLY would have tossed the magnet with the old filter, and who knows if they'd actually lube the chassis.
They wouldn't have put Mobil-1 products into the differentials and transfer case.

Finally, I would not know how to change my fuel filter by feel for when I get a 1093 limp in the middle of nowhere at 3am.

125k on my '03 Tundra and it never saw the inside of a "pro" shop. I did the timing belt myself.
225k on my '94 Toy p/u. It saw the inside of a shop twice.... 180k for a clutch (indy shop, and I had to reattach the exhaust hanger to the bellhousing) and 100k when the exhaust manifold warped. That was a dealer job, and the morons LEFT MY RADIATOR CAP OFF! I discovered this after noticing steam escaping when I hit the top of a long grade. Luckily, it was jammed between the distributor and the valve cover.

No.... the only time my vehicles will be worked on by ANYONE other than me or one of the vendors here on DP is if the job is beyond my abilities... generally tooling or time-wise.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If I had done that, they would have used Dex-III instead of Dex-VI to top off when replacing my Allison spin-on, they PROBABLY would have tossed the magnet with the old filter, and who knows if they'd actually lube the chassis.
Or if they didn't toss the magnet, do you really think they would have cleaned it? Or cleaned the magnets on a diff service? NOT!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I do everything myself also. But you guys talk like they should work for free. So the next time your boss says I want you to work, but I don't want to pay you because I can do it myself for free. That's great you guys can do your own work, have fun doing it. Hey do you complain about the $7 beer at a ballgame, since you can't bring in your own $1 Coors.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Hey do you complain about the $7 beer at a ballgame, since you can't bring in your own $1 Coors.
Umm.... ya know.... I never really made the connection between drink prices at concerts doubling after they installed metal detectors :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm not really complaining, just curisous. My 03 gasser was less that $30 at the same dealership for LOF. I think labor should be the biggest part of the bill. I know my Dmax takes more oil, but $25 dollars worth? I guess I am missing something. Other than the amount of oil I assume the proceedure should be about the same.

My biggest point was the F-ing parts department, maybe if it were open they could make a buck or two there as well.

·
Registered
663 Posts
There are 4 extra quarts of oil over what the gassers take, plus a more expensive oil filter. Additional labor is negligible. Maybe another minute of thumb twiddling waiting for the extra gallon of oil to drain. Not much additional for oil fill either. I would say $25 extra on a LOF is about right at a dealership. As for the parts department, a lot of dealers have crappy hours.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I think labor should be the biggest part of the bill.
It is.
Typically $65/hour. Where some dealers will screw you is they will not combine hours on comparable jobs, or some will have a 1-hour minimum if it isn't an advertised item like oil changes. Adding the fuel filter above the oil change is likely to result in being charged a full hour, since fuel filter service on a gasser is not a common routine maintenance item.

No, I don't think $135 is terribly out of line for the dealership, but it is twice what it would cost to do it yourself. 10 quarts of oil will be about $15, another $10 for the filter, $35 for the fuel filter.... that's $60. Make it $90 for synthetic, so they're hitting you $75 for labor. That smells like an hour for the filter and standard rate for the oil change.

Before I did the timing belt on my Tundra, I priced having it done at the dealer. $350-450, mostly labor.
When I inquired about replacing the water pump at the same time, the quotes went to anywhere from $700 to $1000. Reason? They used "book value" to quote both jobs, including hours. You have to remove the front engine covers and timing belt to replace the water pump, so instead of charging the "fair and proper" 4 hours for the complete job, they quoted 4 hours for the timing belt and 4 hours for the water pump.

I did the entire job myself in 6 hours, and that included waiting for my wife to bring a tool and exchange the serpentine belt. Total damage, $300 for timing belt, serpentine belt, all hoses, water pump, and 2 gallons of coolant. The water pump cost me exactly $100 more.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Seems like you could have told the shop to just use a new timing belt when they replaced the water pump.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How much oil does the DMAX's take. I know the powerstroke takes 14 quarts? And most gassers take 5-7. Quoting seperate for timing belt and water pump is wrong. I get a lot of people that had a dealership do there timing belt and then 15-20K miles later the waterpump is leaking and they are paying labor all over. When I do timing belts I always recommend doing the water pump at the same time. I am not saying there isn't people out there trying to push the envelope on honesty, I am just saying $135 for an oil change and fuel filter is not that bad.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How much oil does the DMAX's take. I am just saying $135 for an oil change and fuel filter is not that bad.
The Duramax takes 10 quarts.
I used Delvac 1300 and Mobil 1 M303 oil filter. It's costs me $35
to change my oil and grease. The local dealer wants $33 with tax for the TP1298B fuel filter. Total $68.
Not sure what the dealer charges but I bet its over $100. I do it myself because. I can't trust anyone else right now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think your prices are about par for dealer work. I also think they are outrageous for what is routine maintenance. Your other alternatives are to do your self (not a bad option if you have the time and once you have done it once you know how it goes the next time around), and to go to a lube garage (jiffy lube, grease monkey) and they will bang you for the extra 5qts of oil and you will have to make sure they are putting the right stuff in. i guarantee you they don't have 15-40 ci-4 on bulk. so if you aren't comfortable doing it your self and don't feel confident supervising the lube jerks. then the dealer is the only way to go unless you have a friend that will volunteer there service and know how.

PS dealer is probably charging a little more per qt because they carry diesel oil in individual quarts and not in bulk so the price may be slightly more expensive that your normal gasser oil change + 5qts oil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just completed the oil change and filter change myself! Cost me a grand total of $70 and half of an hour. Besides there are more than enough people in the world who spend that much money on a vehicle and can keep the "stealers" in business. I say let 'em pay those prices! I will stick to my own work thank you very much. :ro) :rant:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts