Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back with Facts
I'm in a fix and need to get my truck running asap. I appreciate any info on the right replacement ip pump to buy. Here is what I have found so far:

I pulled the pump yesterday. I definitely found problems so I will need a replacement. Here are the facts:

- 94 K2500 F engine
- remote mount PCM, have 2 of newest versions, both worked prior to pump issue
- Pump from my engine is marked C6 DS-S5288, s/n 8485328 mfg# 12558156
- problem started when I tried running warm clean filtered waste veg oil. After 30 seconds it plugged up. Upon removing ip pump cover I found it was filled with thick cottage cheese/snot. This snot was inside the pump cavity- after the input screen filter. It could not have made it through the 10 micron aux filter, inline fuel filter, and input screen at IP. veg oil must have knocked it loose?
- I have owned truck 1 year and have not put any bio cide additives
- Have ops relay upgrade. 100% sure lift pump is fine
- Sucked goop out of ip cavity and filled with clean diesel. Cranked for hours. No activity at cracked injectors.
- batteries are new & charged. Cables are clean.
- filled with straight 'Diesel 911', sat overnight, cracked top pressure lines, cranked forever, still no juice flowing
- removed fuel solenoid plunger. No difference.
- found broken white wire from remote harness going to 4 pin IP plug. probably broke while monkeying around with ip plugs. Soldered and tried again with both PCM's - still nothing
- Tried to find an OBD-I scanner tool but none for sale locally. Pulled codes from SES light:

DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error
DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error

DTC 28 - Transmission Range Pressure Switch Circuit
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault

DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Short)
DTC 36 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)

DTC 46 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Circuit Fault
DTC 62 - Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low
DTC 88 - ??? Dumba55 owner fault? Have not seen in any lists

With pump on bench I found a little more milky diesel inside but not much. I did hear pumping/suction sounds when shaft was turned and also a scratching sound. Found the optical disk was cracked and had rust on side. At crack it rubs the side of the pickup when it turns.

I also found play in the wire going to the encoder pickup. Since this it connected to the cover I probably pulled on the wires when I was trying to get the snot out.

Now I know I need a replacement or at least a new optical disk & encoder. I know I should have a 5068 but apparently someone in the past changed it out.

I pulled the ECM. The prom is marked BPBR 1621 7109 and has the work 'BLUE' molded into the carrier.

If it makes any difference, the optical sensor was mounted dead center in the pump.

I really appreciate all the help. Even with the crud in the IP the truck ran like a champ and I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road.

Any recommendations on which pump to get? Is there any more info I need to provide?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
A 5288 would indicate the Prom has been upgraded to run it. Go with a newer pump as a 5068 is most likely not required.

I've run some watery oil in my system before and it should be a learning lesson that it's up to you to monitor what goes in the tank.
SVO, WVO, ect is fine as long as it's clear and water/sediment free.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks QM. I am getting a crash course in what can't be done with these pumps. My 30 second experiment is costing me a bundle in money, time, and my wife's patience. Great education though.

Also, you posted the pump removal steps, right? Thanks !!! They were excellent and made it almost painless. The only issue I had were the bottom two injector lines which a modified 3/4 box end wrench solved. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an equally uneventful install.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Put in a new filter and clean out the tank to the last drop or your new pump is subject to the same. A new IP wiring harness should come with the pump.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
A new IP wiring harness should come with the pump.
Just a little tid bit I thought I could squeeze in here, for those of you who are leery about using Delphi parts, if you look at the back side of the plug where the Fuel Solenoid harness plugs into the PMD, you will notice it says 'Delphi'.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
DELCO, for Dayton ELectric COmpany, in Ohio

Same company that later made electric motors\parts for wwgrainger

DELPHI is a concatenation of DELco and PHIladelphia (I think it's Pa)

DELPHI was the new name for DELCO, before DELPHI went bust, so the parts are the same.

I think Ali Baba now owns DELPHI

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's alive!

Swapped in a used pump I found locally and she's purring like a kitten. Looks like my non-dreaded PO upgraded the prom for me and now I have a 5288 injection pump, a nice running engine, and no trouble codes.

Thanks Texas Diesel Guy and GMTCD for the help. It's not too difficult of a job but a bit intimidating trying to figure out what was wrong.

As soon as I figure out how to post a picture I'll send in a pic of the snot that was living in my old pump. I pulled the filter & bled the lines and I guarantee there was nothing that got through either my stock or aux filter - it was all inside the pump. I think there was a whole microcosm of bacteria living in there praying to the engine god that sent them fresh diesel every day. I tried to save some to experiment with but got some of the 'diesel 911' stuff mixed with it and the snot dissolved.

Thanks again. I will return the favor if ever I get the chance.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Stauby, what kind of temps are you working in? It sounds like you were getting too cold for the mixture you had and it was going solid on you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been 35-45 here in Ohio. When I tried to run the WVO I had warmed it to 125 through a heat exchanger and glow plug heater. I know that is on the low side but I had also mixed it 50/50 with diesel so I thought it would pass. It was literally 30 seconds and then nothing. This oil is clean and has been filtered to 5 micron; when it gets below 30 deg it turns thick like syrup but I have never seen it coagulate. This stuff was thick and stringy. The other option I haven't checked yet is if I have a hole in one of my tubes and coolant is getting through. I know that could o some cavitation damage to the ip. It didn't have any issues while I was running diesel in both tanks. I'll dump the tank and see how it looks. In any manner, this has been enough of a scare that I won't be experimenting again for a while. Maybe.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I hear ya. This is one of the reasons why I only screw with WVO when it's going to stay above 45-50 or so and I only blend in about 25% because I don't pre-heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts