Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> I'm looking for a setup that will make my daily driver into a RELIABLE 500rwhp
> truck. I would like to make it a 13 second truck in the 1/4mile (diesel only)
> and I'm guessing 500rwhp is what I need? Can the following setup achieve that
> horsepower without affecting the reliability?
>
> PPE programmer Excellerator + 2
Trans ? Stage?
Converter?
> Fuel Pump?
Exhaust? 4in? 5in?

>
> This setup is for daily driving with an occasional visit to the drag strip. I
> don't know how to wrench on my truck so reliability is my main concern.
>
> Please let me know what you suggest for my rig. If 500rwhp is pushing it let
> me know what hp level is ideal for reliabliity of the dmax.
>
I have been reading a lot about Mike L from Inglewood trans, Suncoast, and Ats... I am not made of money but I want to do it right the first time so that I have my reliability.Thanks guys for your input! I really value it!

·
Registered
741 Posts
500rwhp for a daily duramax is pretty common, as a matter of fact, Im headed down the same road as you, just havent got the lift yet.

Anyway, you'll need a built trans for sure, gauges, and PPE should be able to get you to 500, and if you start draining the fuel rail, you may need some fuel system upgrades.

I like the stealthy look, oh... your not to far from here. I'll keep my eye open for ya around town. :rockit:

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
You will need at least a Stage 3 tranny and lift pumps, 4" exhaust would be all I would run and you might consider the finger stick and blocker plate with no cat messing things up. 500HP is fairly common these days and you should have no problems with getting it..

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Great question! im sure a lot of us are wandering the same thing! Im definitley going the same direction. I do know from all the advice here a tranny is defintley needed.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
sounds like you have the right plan for sure PPE HOT +2, Sun Coast IV, Dual lift pumps, 4" exhaust. I would also add tierod sleeves and cognito braces for reliability reasons.

·
Registered
357 Posts
dwhite77;1598162; said:
> I'm looking for a setup that will make my daily driver into a RELIABLE 500rwhp
> truck. I would like to make it a 13 second truck in the 1/4mile (diesel only)
> and I'm guessing 500rwhp is what I need? Can the following setup achieve that
> horsepower without affecting the reliability?
>
> PPE programmer Excellerator + 2
Trans ? Stage?
Converter?
> Fuel Pump?
Exhaust? 4in? 5in?

>
> This setup is for daily driving with an occasional visit to the drag strip. I
> don't know how to wrench on my truck so reliability is my main concern.
>
> Please let me know what you suggest for my rig. If 500rwhp is pushing it let
> me know what hp level is ideal for reliabliity of the dmax.
>
I have been reading a lot about Mike L from Inglewood trans, Suncoast, and Ats... I am not made of money but I want to do it right the first time so that I have my reliability.Thanks guys for your input! I really value it!
Check out Avis's progress since I think he has same truck as you and is where you want to get now. Seems to be stepping his way higher...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Just wondering, I have about the same goal in mind. Good power using only diesel I do race once in a while, but I don't do 4x4 boosted launches. How much hp can you put to the ground in 2wd. I don't mind overpowering first, but I would like a power range that would be manageable from second up. My truck will already spin a little in second with 120 tune but I think it can put a lot more than that to the ground in 2wd. I guess what I'm asking is will 500 hp only be usable in the low gears in 4x4 or will I be able to feather it through first and second and not just uncontrollably spin.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Avis's truck is close to mine were running about the same of everything , LWatson with my old tuner and small shot of nos in 2wd I pulled off a [email protected] with a 2.18 60's

·
Registered
686 Posts
Some trucks are different in the spinning department. Mine with the 285/55/20s will only haze the tires slightly from a dead stop. Now this is without a boosted launch. Some trucks fry the tires doing the same take off as mine. I guess it has to do with torque managment. Some trucks have more programmed in the TCM from the factory it seems. But of course for the best 60 ft. times, 4 wheel boosted is the way to go. 2 wheel drive will get you by. In the rain it's not safe in 2 wheel drive, if you get in a hurry. I can mash the go pedel at 70 in the rain and it breaks loose (kinda fun).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys.....sounds like we are all on the same page. So it seems that 500rwhp isn't going to be a problem without the obvious upgrades. How far can I push it on the duramx before i start having to wrench on the truck? The most important thing is still going to be the fact that this is my daily driver.

As far as trannys......i have talked to Mike at Inglewood trans, the guys at PPE, Orange County Diesel, McRat...... I am getting alot of mixed advice from guys that are respected on this forum. I have been steered towards ats and suncoast, also i have been hearing different things about stage IV and stageV. I need some feedback here. At that price range, do i need stage V, or at stage IV am i cheating myself. I am already anticipating the deep dish pan, tranny cooler, braces, traction bars, filter lock, and fuel pumps.

Does anyone have an opinion on getting the work done from Ingelwood, PPE, OC Diesel, or anywhere else and also the recommended stage?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
island8;1598874; said:
Kinda off subject but how do you like your CST lift?? Do you have more pics of you truck?

Thanks

I'll be posting them up soon! Problem is the truck is always dirty! It's in the dirt every weekend.

·
Registered
357 Posts
dwhite77;1601241; said:
Ok guys.....sounds like we are all on the same page. So it seems that 500rwhp isn't going to be a problem without the obvious upgrades. How far can I push it on the duramx before i start having to wrench on the truck? The most important thing is still going to be the fact that this is my daily driver.

As far as trannys......i have talked to Mike at Inglewood trans, the guys at PPE, Orange County Diesel, McRat...... I am getting alot of mixed advice from guys that are respected on this forum. I have been steered towards ats and suncoast, also i have been hearing different things about stage IV and stageV. I need some feedback here. At that price range, do i need stage V, or at stage IV am i cheating myself. I am already anticipating the deep dish pan, tranny cooler, braces, traction bars, filter lock, and fuel pumps.

Does anyone have an opinion on getting the work done from Ingelwood, PPE, OC Diesel, or anywhere else and also the recommended stage?
The lastest consensus on 500 hp seems to be that at this level you (and I) will blow the motor at some point with the caveat "if driven hard." There is a long thread here from JK addressing this specific subject. Not sure what you mean when you ask about "wrench" point. If you mean that you reach wrench point when you bend a rod, crack a piston, etc then some have reached that point in 12,000 miles and some at a higher level but in most of these cases it seems that those trucks were raced perpetually AND driven on the street (this is where it gets foggy for me; i.e. minimal to no track time and just driving daily with 500 hp tune, what happens???).

For the time being I am running mine on PPE level 5 which, if the dyno results were correct puts me at 400 or so. May switch to level 9 today for a bit of fun but there are a few blown motors RIGHT NOW (LLY, LBZ, you name it) that are currently under "reconstruction" due to running high HP.

If you were running to Palm Springs/River every weekend during high heat or pulling weight up the grapevine/Big Bear a lot with high power tune I would think you would see a failure sooner rather than later. Just running up and down PCH beating down ricers on weekends? I'm not sure.

Either way, coming off the onramp onto the 73 from Jamboree going to be one heckuva different experience with a 500 hp tune :D .

On the trannies it would appear that ATS and Suncoast seem to be the majority choice (not sure if there has been a poll on this) when switching but switch you SHOULD if you are going beyond 350 or so. On the Suncoast IV vs V I made my decision based on the fact that I wanted the beefiest setup that they produced and did not want to worry about a HP cutoff level for the tranny; personal choice I suppose.

In the end you are very fortunate to be located close to so many great vendors to do this work. Had to drive 9 hours to have my Suncoast put in and you have one of the best tranny people around (Suncoast or ATS) an hour away in Inglewood; nice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel007.....

Thanks for the response! Sounds like you use to be located here in so cal......

I am really interested in getting more info on the boiling point of these engines. I want to get the performance but not at the sacrifice of reliability.

So from what it sounds like, it's not a matter of if I will but WHEN i will have to work on the engine. This is the last thing that i want to do. Is there any concensus on what kind of rwhp the LBZ can handle before you start putting stress on the engine. I don't ever tow much. Short trips during the week and then a few hundred miles on the weekends to go ride the dirtbikes. I don't plan to be at the track often but that doesn't mean that i won't be stomping on it around town.

Guys I continue to appreciate your feed back.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Not everyone will blow up. I ran my truck at well over 500hp for two seasons. 100's upon 100's of 1/4 mile passes, most in the 12's. Daily driven with a tow tune and race tune where needed:D

It's not all "the sky is falling" Run/tune your truck smartly and you will have many happy miles. Anything over stock, and you are shortening up the life of the truck, but I can live with that.

The majority of trucks going boom are running twin pumps and big turbos which = big HP well over 600HP.

LBZ's will take the punishment better than the LLY and LB7 in IMO.

Go with MikeL on the tranny. He is VERY knowledgeable and easy to talk/work with.

Have fun!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kind of off topic but..
I have only been running a 75hp tune since around December (when I got EFI)
and truck had a few thousand miles. I ran a (roughly 130hp tune) for about a week and loved it. Wasn't sure if I wanted to punish my tranny that much so I bumped it back down to 75hp, but noticed that that same 75 hp tune felt alot stronger. Now from a stop light (no boosted launch) just mashing the pettal, it spins the tires big time. Before it didnt do that with the same tune.

Did the bigger tune help break in the motor? I only ran it for about 5 or 6 days but I was gettin on it pretty good.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Duramaxed06;1605501; said:
Kind of off topic but..
I have only been running a 75hp tune since around December (when I got EFI)
and truck had a few thousand miles. I ran a (roughly 130hp tune) for about a week and loved it. Wasn't sure if I wanted to punish my tranny that much so I bumped it back down to 75hp, but noticed that that same 75 hp tune felt alot stronger. Now from a stop light (no boosted launch) just mashing the pettal, it spins the tires big time. Before it didnt do that with the same tune.

Did the bigger tune help break in the motor? I only ran it for about 5 or 6 days but I was gettin on it pretty good.
I highly doubt that the tune "broke in" the motor.

Couple things; First, maybe the 75hp tune is written different than the 130hp tune(less torque management, better shifting) or it is more than a 75hp tune. Where are the tune HP#'s coming from?

Second, stock trannys seem to like when you go from a big power tune to a lesser power tune. Makes them shift a bunch better, which maybe why it feels stronger to you.

Just my thoughts,
Rob

·
Registered
741 Posts
IdahoRob;1605607; said:
I highly doubt that the tune "broke in" the motor.

Couple things; First, maybe the 75hp tune is written different than the 130hp tune(less torque management, better shifting) or it is more than a 75hp tune. Where are the tune HP#'s coming from?

Second, stock trannys seem to like when you go from a big power tune to a lesser power tune. Makes them shift a bunch better, which maybe why it feels stronger to you.

Just my thoughts,
Rob
Yes I could agree.
The tranny may have just been shifting firmer from having the bigger tune.
I was just wondering. I'm at 12,000 miles so shes actually not even fully broke in yet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
500 RWHP for a daily driver is common, hopefully we can dyno this week and see what this truck makes. Most likely, it will take just a stage 4 trans, and a PPE hot +2 et. and an exhaust an intake. That is just for the power. Also, I will look out for you too, maybe we will meet in the street :D Also, This truck has had work not only from PPE, but OC diesel also. I would say PPE for the power upgrades, they stand behind their product. OC Diesel would be good for steering system mods, and other suspension mods, or work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts