Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is one project I've been working on that is almost done. It is in the fun factor ( serious hand gun hunting as well). The bottom case is a .500 S&W. The .500 SD has 41% more capacity and almost the same in the energy department:eek: . It will push the .500 smith bullets as fast as the .500 S&W with 2/3 less pressure (or stoke it up for some real fun). It will be getting a break on the end that is a new design of mine to keep noise at a very min for having a break. The recoil should be on par with a 3bl .44 mag when I'm done. Energy should be in the 3500-3800+FP area as well. Were going to take some video shooting it here in the next few weeks. To put it into perspective, the .500 SD case is 2.25" long. It grows considerably when loaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
HEY!

You are not allowed to have a bigger gun then me! :)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
OK its cool again....
I just ordered a new gun.

Its the 50bmg handgun.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Well I'm one uping both of u, got JD to make me a barrel for my Encore in 14.5JDJ

14.5mm JDJ ...
SSK has non Destructive Device exemption for a 14.5 MM (.585") cartridge.

The 14.5 MM JDJ is based on the 50 BMG case. The neck is opened to accept the SSK 1173 grain bullet loaded over 235 grains of 5010 to fire form the case. Other bullets may become available in the near future.

In the test rifle 100 yard accuracy hovers between .3 and .5" with this fireform load. Velocity is chronographed at 26--2700 feet per second with the 1173 grain bullet. My worst 300 yard three shot group with it is 1.509". The 750 Barnes is a real performer at 3000 FPS. Dies are in stock. Actions suitable for the 50 BMG are the ONLY ones that will take this cartridge. We recommend McMillan actions. Guns are all custom built according to customer preferences.

read more and pics here http://www.sskindustries.com/14_5.htm

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
BTW energy is 18,987 ft lbs. for 1173 grn @2700 ft/sec.

That should kill a ground hog.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
OK its cool again....
I just ordered a new gun.

Its the 50bmg handgun.
It's about time for another Dirty Harry movie. His 44 magnum and 44 automag are way outclassed today.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
No doubts that yours always hangs lower, Dmax Tim.):h

·
Registered
816 Posts
WOW,

High powered rifle's in a compact size:cool2:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets chamber that 14.5 in a revolver now. Tim will demonstrate shooting technique:ro) . Ambulance will stand by:eek: . Next up, Problem child demonstrating his. I'll keep mine for the dangerous game hunting and let you two do the moon and star hunting):h .

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm still trying to get PC to test my 105mm pistol!!!!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I want a semi-auto 30mm depleted uranium round handgun. I just cant find one that fits my hand.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Now who's gonna be hidin' behind the 2" plexiglass with the video camera while you're testing that monster out?):h

Josh

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Gee. I feel rather inadequate about getting a Model 70 Stealth in a 22-250......

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hey PC you going to come to the shooting get together? Check out the Events & Rallys section.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This had gun will be to crumple up charging (or other than ideal circumstances) dangerous big game. For PHs in Africa (in areas that can have them) that don't want to carry a rifle and a good bear gun (serious) for Alaska and Siberia that has 5 shot capacity in a large, heavy caliber. But most importaintly, for the folks that must have the biggest and baddest in a useful fun to shoot firearm. GMCSLEHD, how can you test fire it, shoot video, and stand behind some plexy all at the same time?):h ):h ):h Wait till you get a load of my next round I'm makin up. This one will have some WOW to it. I already have the brass and the firearm ready to start the morph.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I started with the .500 BFR. The freebore has been cleared another 0.650 in the cylinder. I got some very special brass I've been looking for for a while to get the right size for fire forming with out having to open up the chamber further in dia. and weakining the structure. It is the same dia as the .500 S&W uses, so I guess you could still fire .500 S&W out of it like the 460 S&W does with the .45 colt and the .454 casull. Difference in freebore between the .460 and the .45 colt is 0.500. If you really want to see something interesting, go to www.thefiringline.com forums, punch up BFR in the search window, and go to about the 4th page. There is a thread called; Biggest caliber ever chambered in a revolver? There you will see the mother of all. Then go to the 21st post and look at the video of the guy shootin the 700 Nitro. Looks like fun!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts