Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scheduled my 5" straight pipe exhaust to be put on Monday morning. Getting the 4" downpipe and 5" from there back. I will put sound clips up afterwards! CAN'T WAIT!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
what brand are you going with? let me know what you think and how it sounds. im very interested in doing the same. im looking at the expandit kit.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
You'll love it and the neighbors will hate it! They'll think they live next to the airport !:D

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I just put the Expandit 5" straight pipe on my truck. Easy install and dosen't hit anywhere. I got mine direct at the Expandit shop in Winterset Iowa through a buddy thats a dealer. My system did how ever come with a 45 degree fitting so I could cut the 90 degree end off behind the rear tire and use the 45 so the 6 inch stainless steel tip comes out at the same angle as stock instead of straight out (90 degrees)behind the tire. Nice sound and not as loud as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't believe so yet unless it is custom done. Nasty Girl has 5" duals but it was custom.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got 5'' exhaust on my truck, love the sound. The sweet spot is at 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 on the tac! Like was said before, you will love them, neighbors will hate them. I leave for work at 6 am. The neighbors complain all the time! ):h But as far as duals, dont get them, they say like crap. If you get a tip, get stainless, not crome. it will rust. check Ebay, i picked mine up for $310 with shipping, and it aluminized steel, no cat or muffler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you are going to love it..I just put my 4" downpipe and 5" back straightpipe on wednesday night and love it..i dogged the entire tank alot more than usual and only lost like .2 of a gallon so im happy..im sure i could pick up at least 1mpg if i can drive it normal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!!! That about sums it up!

Got the exhaust put on yesterday. I had it done by a good friend in Raleigh, NC (Henry's Muffler Shop) and he did an incredible job! (Can't remember the brand name of the kit he put on there though.) Glad I had him do it though---the kit had the exhaust exiting underneath the right rear leave spring. If I had kept it this way the truck would not have been able to be raised on a lift by the frame or jacked up on the frame to change/rotate tires. So with a little modification, it now exits correctly exactly where the stock pipe was. I decided to go without a tip and just have the 5" pipe exiting. Henry slash cut the pipe (kinda like the Flowmaster tips) to give it a custom look.

When I fired it up for the first time at the shop, a guy who had just brought a '58 Vette in stood behind it and all he could do was grin and say "Wow! Man that thing sounds like a jet!"

At idle, you can't even hear it inside the cab. Interior noise as you're accelerating is similar to a 40 series Flowmaster on a gasser. Outside noise is ridiculously loud!!! At 80 mph I couldn't hear the exhaust at all---it sounded stock inside the cab with the only noticible sound being the turbo whistling. The first time I drove it through the neighborhood I had a guy run out in the road screaming at me! :D Like people have said before, above 2200 it really starts to SCREAM! And when you're floorboard----I can't even describe the sound other than f-ing AWESOME! My friends that have ridden with me so far have done nothing but laughed and grinned! They are all speachless.

I will have video/sound clips loaded after this weekend. Unfortunately I travel a lot for my job and won't be home again till Sunday night. Going to try and do it on Monday and get them posted. (Planning on doing sound/video at idle, drive by, and interior.)

I'd agree with everyone else though----I LOVE it...neighbors HATE it! :D :D :D For all of you guys in the NC area----if you want exhaust work done, I would HIGHLY recommend Henry's Muffler Shop in Raleigh. Incredible work and competitive pricing. I assure you, it will be done right and done right the first time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
sound clip???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Squid, who does your annual vehicle inspection? I'm in Fayetteville and have the same setup for my exhaust. I am planning to put the finger stick on it to prevent the codes but for now I just clear them with the predator. I was told by the guy who installed it that as long as my PCM has no stored codes I should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mgmack,
I have not had to do an inspection as of yet, but as long as your truck is made before 2007 you will not have to go through emissions inspection. They shouldn't even put it on a lift so you shouldn't have to worry about it. No computer hookup, and no under truck inspection so I wouldn't worry about codes. As of right now, I don't have a CEL on but haven't checked to see about hidden codes. I have the blocker/finger but haven't installed it yet. (I'm TERRIBLE with working on motors and have been nervous about it.) How do you like your exhaust setup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kziggy,
I'll post the sound clip when I get home. I live in NC and am in Chicago for work. I will be back Sunday night and will get the clips at the beginning of the week.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Squid;1598331; said:
mgmack,
I have not had to do an inspection as of yet, but as long as your truck is made before 2007 you will not have to go through emissions inspection. They shouldn't even put it on a lift so you shouldn't have to worry about it. No computer hookup, and no under truck inspection so I wouldn't worry about codes. As of right now, I don't have a CEL on but haven't checked to see about hidden codes. I have the blocker/finger but haven't installed it yet. (I'm TERRIBLE with working on motors and have been nervous about it.) How do you like your exhaust setup?
I love the sound and the increase in throttle response. I had it installed while I was home from Afghanistan on R&R leave so I only got to drive it for a couple of days. But I am headed home now and I can't wait to try it in different conditions, highway, off-road, around town, etc.
I don't have a CEL but I did find a low egr flow DTC when I hooked up the predator. I cleared it and haven't had the opportunity to check it again. My wife drives the truck regularly and hasn't had any problems or CEL pop up. I plan to purchase and install a finger stick myself when I get home in early March. Let me know how your finger stick install goes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.