Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is their a way to change 5 speed to a 6 speed? if so what would it cost? would like to do this to lower rpm's to gain fuel mileage. would it be worth it if it can be done? i know the shift levers are different an dash gage. thanks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is no one offering this upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could a trans shop do it?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There is no one offering this upgrade.

Max, I think you are wrong! In fact, it's a easy upgrade. Lots and lots of people are offering it. Just drive to your dealer of choice, hand them your keys, sign a few pieces of paper and start enjoying your new 6 speed alli!

jb

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
this has been discussed MANY times before. Try a search ;)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I don't see the point. It seems like the mileage isn't a whole lot better and the increased stress on the C3's doesn't seem like it's a good thing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Why is it every time this subject comes up there is really never a straight true answer or some says search for it since it been talked about 1000s of times but i never seen a straight answer in the past chats about it i not had time to go straight to allison and hear from them but i guess its time to do it lol

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Why is it every time this subject comes up there is really never a straight true answer or some says search for it since it been talked about 1000s of times but i never seen a straight answer in the past chats about it i not had time to go straight to allison and hear from them but i guess its time to do it lol
You will not get a straight answer from Allison. You will not get a straight answer here. I do not think a 6 speed is going to happen anytime soon and if it does, it will cost plenty. Not worth it imo.
mike

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
You want a straight answer?

NO

How's that? Straight enough?:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the new trucks with the 6 spd allison also have a 4:10 rear dif? If so I bet they are fast compared to my 03.
Kirk

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Max, I think you are wrong! In fact, it's a easy upgrade. Lots and lots of people are offering it. Just drive to your dealer of choice, hand them your keys, sign a few pieces of paper and start enjoying your new 6 speed alli!

jb
Who does it in specific and how much might it cost. I want one

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hard facts right here...

Cougar E is right about the 3000/4000 series transmissions. He's dead wrong about the 1000/2000's . You can't just re-cal for 6th like the larger transmissions.

4.10:1 isn't/hasn't been offered for the diesel.

Lakingslayer... Check your clutch apply charts.. C2/C4 is used in 6th ;)

It ain't happenin' anytime soon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Now hold on. Someone bought a brand new truck and printed the window sticker... I read 4:10. Am I dreaming here? I am going to search for the post. I read it within the last several days. Could have been on rv.net. We shall see.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts

jb
You forgot the part where you give the dealer 45K.):h

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Now hold on. Someone bought a brand new truck and printed the window sticker... I read 4:10. Am I dreaming here? I am going to search for the post. I read it within the last several days. Could have been on rv.net. We shall see.
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Check that link and click trailering. According to that site there is no 4.10 with the diesel. There is a 4.10 with the 8.1 gasser. That could be what you saw.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the new trucks with the 6 spd allison also have a 4:10 rear dif? If so I bet they are fast compared to my 03.
Nope... Still 3.73. Run about 1800 at 70mph.

I think the ratios are just a bit tighter.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I must be screwed up. The thread that I saw was a picture of the actual window sticker. I read it and thought wow, that's unreal. Well apparently it was.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts