Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

New 04 2500 HD D/A CC SB My first diesel and first full size truck ( traded in a 95 s-10 x-cab). Did not want to go bigger than full size x-cab, but by chance drove crew cab dmax first.
Went back to drive x-cab gasser
Now have 2500mi. on the dmax (auto) Love the power of the stock truck!!!! Am interested in juice/ attitude, new intake, and wondering about exhaust ( have seen many 4" but some posts have listed 5") who has the 5" exhaust ?? I cant find it. Is it worth it?

THANX ,JEFF</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
There around ...... Duramaxstore

I have another link I'll get for you tomorrow .... Notice that it is 4" intermediate pipe to 5" ....They say downpipe but the downpipe is connected to the turbo and that isn't what their selling ....No one is marketing a true downpipe yet ....

Good luck with the truck, welcome aboard .... Glad to see another North Easter .....
Go Pats (only cause Da Boys got close and we aint playing Horseshoes unfortunately ) .....

Mac

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 4" system that goes into a 5" muffler and 5" tailpipe. I like the fit, finish, sound and EGTs.

Got it from http://www.kennedydiesel.com

I get a lot of positive comments from people about it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Jeff,

You might consider staying with a 4 inch system it's more than sufficient up to 500 RWHP and lot so folks feel that there is a drop off on low end torque if you go with a 5 inch system.

We are a manufacturers distributor with Edge and AFE (we only sell the Pro Gurad 7 though as it stops the dirt from getting to your engine)and of course our DPPI aluminized, T-409 and T-304 stainless steel exhaust systems. Call us and we'll be glad to help you with any questions you might have or tech issues.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"></TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<BLOCKQUOTE id=bc6823ce>
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on"><T>
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

THANX for the info guys
( yes mac GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
a new dynasty? we'll see) I am going to check out those sites for exhaust. Question for SOCALDMAX YOU HAVE THE GTECH PRO ? Is this like juice with attitude? Does it have the monitor ? Is juice the way to go? BTW I cant find the coolant heater cord that is supposed to be coiled on passenger side near engine mount
Got down to -15 F. last week , truck still started but not right away . Gonna call dealer now . This site rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: sky1

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mark Craig said:
Jeff,

You might consider staying with a 4 inch system it's more than sufficient up to 500 RWHP and lot so folks feel that there is a drop off on low end torque if you go with a 5 inch system.

That's interesting. I agree that a 4" system would be fine for any of us, and the 5" section is not improving flow on my truck at my current level. I've never heard anyone say that 5" will produce a torque drop on a diesel before. I know gassers require good scavenging and some backpressure, but I thought diesels always benefitted from a decrease in backpressure. Can you elaborate?

Sky1, keep in mind that the downpipe is not replaced on ANY of these systems, it's still the factory 3-1/2" with some flattening. So the turbo is still breathing thru a short section of crimped pipe, then 4", then (in my case) a 5" muffler and 5" tailpipe, again more of a cosmetic thing than power gains. Kennedy and others also sell straight 4" systems in all 3 materials. One thing t olook into is what type of hanger, what type of clamps does it come with. The quality of the hardware can add a lot of cost to the system and must be kept in mind.

I do have a Gtech Pro, but I'm just poking fun at some people with my sig. The GTech Pro is merely a windshield mounted accelerometer which measures acceleration over time and calculates speed, 0-60, 1/4 mi, hp, etc based on that and user input of weight. It can be fairly accurate, if one doesn't fudge on the weight numbers.

The Edge Juice with Attitude is a box that adds power, displays engine parameters (replacing up to 4 gauges) and can perform what the Gtech does. In terms of smoothness, functionality and value, it's great. There might be some features that you might want that it can't do (read and reset DTC codes, recal speedo) but to me that's kinda minor considering what it does.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
No problems with torque here, but I will agree that the 5" is more of a looks/sound thing.

Real jaw dropper, and good source for "that's what she said" quips...

·
Registered
464 Posts
SoCal, I agree with you completely on the loss(or lack of actually) of low end torque with a diesel w/ 5"+ exhaust! The turbo works on the priciple of thermal expansion among others, therfore the lower the pressure after the turbine section the more power you could harness. So in essence, if you could apply a vacuum to your exhaust you would gain more power, or atleast the turbo would etract more power from the exhaust gasses/engine. In power plants, this is one reason why the LP steam turbines discharge into condensers that are under a vacuum. Sorry for rambling on, but I am still planning on getting a KD 4"/5" exhaust some day, mostly for the looks thing!!

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts