Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your window regulator cables stop working you can either pay through the nose to have it repaired at the dealership ($420.00 + labor) or replace the broken cable for $5.00. NOTE the dealer does not sell in separate parts but as a complete unit with the electric motor. (The local dealer replaces 10 window regulators per. Month, due to the inner air craft cable chaffing on the outer case which is not reamed, looks like the old speedometer cable)
For the $5.00 repair read on, if the inner aircraft cable has infect broken, go to your local marine supplier and purchase 10’ feet of 1/16" of the most flexible aircraft wire you can find ($2.00) locate 6 crimp on ends ($3.00) (just in case you screw up, I did 3 times), the crimp ons will look like1/4" copper tube only bronze with a 1/16" hole in the middle and ¼" long), use a stakon tool to crimp the bronze (which should be a perfect fit,) ends by hand, then to really set the crimp use a hammer on the end of the crimper .
After you remove the motor and regulator (cable is broken) make a diagram of the parts as you disassemble IN particular springs and a lower nylon wear block.
When you remove the motor from its mounting block a capstan is exposed around which there are 2 separate 1/16" wires wrapped one of which you will replace. (Again make diagrams). Ream all outer cable ends (Dremel tool with pointed grinding stone is good)
You can measure the old cable and make the new one the same length (I made mine too short) or just fit one end in the capstan (2 pairs of hands needed) then set the second end after you have put the regulator back together for a trial fit on the ground.(Keep the spring a tight fit).
The entire process of door panel removal, 2 bolts to release the glass, 2 blocks of wood to hold the glass up, remove the regulator 6 bolts, and re install should be no more than 2 hours.
Good luck

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Gota a digital camera, a picture is worth a thousand words?:)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Good to know. Pics would have been good, we could put it in the DIY forum area then... FYI though, regulater motors are cheaper on ebay, like $150.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry dont have a camera, and didnt even consider taking pictures. when this project was started It was by trial and error, however the fix was so easy, anyone who can take off a door panel can do this repair.

good luck

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
For me it's easier just to change the regulator, but this is a real good idea for those with the time to tinker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.