Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone havin trouble. 03 d/a dually 4x4 that has had 4x4 problems from day one. 70 mph low range lite comes on, instant hart attact. After numerious trips to dealer this is finally repaired, but the 4 wheel drive won't work, after numerious visits to dealer and bitchin to factory rep they extend our warranty, 65600miles got stuck in sand 4x4 not working, called wrecker, sent to dealer, dealer says transfer case bad, wait 1-1/2 weeks for rep to say ok to replace. This is the supprise. This has been a ongoing problem with numerious 4x4s gas and diesel. The oil pump wears a hole in the case and all lube is lost. There is a fix on the way that will be here in march of 04 and this problem shows around 50 t 60 k miles, supprise you get to pay if you don't have extended warranty. They want to put old part # transfer case back in ours and the fight is own again, we want the new fix an they are saying ther sorry but it wont be here till late march. We are asuming the factory wants to sell the new fix to the ones out of warranty. Call this lady at the factory and dont take no for a answer an possibly you may get an extension, we did. By the way the fix will be around 3800.00. Call Debbie Palmer @ 1-313 667-7153 an keep callin till you get satifaction. This is one of our co trucks that has to work every day in our buisness.

Geno

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
So if your case drips you get tipped off?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GMCSID

Thanks much, guys like you are a assit to these pages

Geno

·
Registered
812 Posts
GMC_service_log.pdf

This is my list of service on this truck, note the amount of times 4WD pops up. Dealer is contacting factory rep this time, I like my truck but this is ridiculous. By the way, does anyone have seat heaters with a mind of their own?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told that this problem occured in all 2001 to current mdls gas and diesel.

Geno

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruno

hope this helps

Geno

·
Registered
260 Posts
GMCSID,

Is it an easy job to remove the housing to see if the clips are there, or is it not worth it? Just curious if it could be done at home on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You would need to remove transfer case and set it standing with the rear up. Remove all the bolts and release the snap ring while prying the case up. It's kind of a big job just to check the clip.

·
Registered
939 Posts
3800 bucks for a friggin transfer case??

WTF??? Why doesn't GM just announce a 5 grand blanket statement for repairs on our trucks....
To bad a second filter for the transfer case won't help as that seems to be the fix for other areas...

Just something else to watch out for I guess.

·
Registered
114 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

i've had my 2001HD D/A for 15 days. i've used my 4wd 4 times due to snow and ice...just to get out of parking place, not for an extended period...

what are signs to look for re case wear?...dripping?

</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It is common for it to be mistaken as the rear seal leaking. I'll get a pic of the outside to show where the holes come through.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There are no holes in this one. This one has another common problem of the roller bearings coming apart. But here is where you will find the holes. Usually just one on the bottom is enough to leak out all the fluid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts