Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to Lift my truck, beef up the suspension, but I want to be able to Tow any 5th wheel without have to tweek the Coach. I am thinking of a 2" lift not much really.

Is there a standard height for 5th wheels or does every make differ. I know ride height is pretty critical to having a nice Tow, I have seen way to many lifted 4x4's towing some ungainly set-ups.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If my truck was 2" higher I could not fit under my 5er overhang, and it's one of the biggest in the market. You don't want my opinion on a lifted truck and towing, trust me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Every make differs- depends on axle size, tire size, frame construction, box pin or extended pin etc. etc etc. Don't try to tow a fifth wheel with a lifted truck unless you plan to do some trailer lifting as well. Even with stock height trucks I've had to raise the trailers by flipping the axles under the springs. This is where Ford and Dodge are bad for height - even with the axles flipped they usually don't tow level.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 5th wheel toy hauler that is tall in the overhang area,has 235/85-16 tires. I have my 2500 front lifted with the torsion bar keys about 2" w/285 tires,truck is level & so is 5er.I have a friend with a Springdale & I think my truck would hit.5er's vary a lot in the pin height,there is no standard.

on edit:I think I finally got tire sizes right. Edited by: Bullseye54

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess it looks like I am not going to be lifting my truck after all. I need this truck to tow, in fact my Father-inlaw lifted his truck 6" and asked me to move his 5th wheel. I was hoping for a little lift, but I guess I should be happy with what I have.

Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thinking about hopping ship from my Ford F350SD. Can anyone tell me what the backend height is for a 4x4 2500HD, a 3500 Dooly and maybe what the 3500 SRW will be? I pull a 36ft fith wheel and don't want to flip the axels. My F350 is currently a 4x2 and I recently moved to the snow country and need a 4x4.

thx,

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
my 02 3500 is 58" to the bed rail, though my wheel conversion makes my tires 34" instead of 30" like stock 3500. the rails on the stock 3500 are 56". when my truck was stock, my trailer a 2003 38' prowler with quad slides fit perfect. with the new tires it has a slight rise, but nothing even close to worry about, the 2" is barely noticable. on chevys all stock 2500's and 3500's are the same height.

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 lt/10 lug conversion,xde 245r 19.5 alcoa's,afe,magnaflow,banks acutator,transynd,delvac 1, amsoil bypass,putco running board system

38' prowler 365flts quad slides with all the goodies,14100lb's loaded

www.chromewheel.com/gallerypages/johntruck.htm

www.putco.com

·
Registered
617 Posts
NM_MIKE

Post your question in the main forum and you'll get all the answers you need. Not much traffic over here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tulsa;

How does the truck ride with those 19.5's? I have been considering that but it is very costly up front and I need to be absolutely sure it is a good move. We run about 80% non-towing so the empty ride needs to be comfortable. I get complaints about the rear seat ride now and will be dropping the lower spring out and putting in airbags to help. I just don't want a rock hard ride but really like the looks and functionality of teh 19.5's. Besides I get a decent discount for myself on the Alcoa rims.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
speedracer,

You probably already have the trailer you want to tow. I bought a 2004 cc lb 4x4 and a matching black Wells Cargo 32' 5-er. FWIW, When I ordered it, they asked me what my bed height was, so they could build the trailer around the truck, so to speak. When the trailer arrived, it still had adjustment to move up another four inches at least and still tow level.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Here is a picture of what I was talking about earlier:

Dennis

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
1bad01,

Don't think I haven't thought about a 2" lift for the trailer and a 6" for the truck. That wouldn't look too bad, but both of the cars that I would tow in there don't really fit as they are, so I would have to build up some ramps or stack some wood up to get them in. Right now I'm not ready to tackle all that since I'm moving a bunch right now, and the truck is new. I want to see if it has any quirks before I go crazy with it. Sooner or later, they all get tweaked. The Mini Cooper 'S' is on the list for go-faster parts next. That thing is a go-kart already stock, so I'm sure it will sing with stage III kit.

Great idea, though. BTW, any pictures of your hood? I haven't looked around here for it, so forgive me if there are.

Dennis

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just brought my new 5th wheel home. I have a 6" lift, and the 5er came with the axels flipped already. They still had to add another 6" under the trailer. Not sure how it came out ok, but it actually looks level.
Really no problems towing either. I had them measure from asphault to top of the A/C, 13ft. Although I am sort of concerned about center of gravity issues, the shop guy said he does 2 or 3 of these a week, and there won't be any problems. We'll see......

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Mine hit's 13'6" to top of A/C. When the wind starts picking up I start slowing down. I could do a 6" lift on the truck as I had the axles flipped on the trailer but I did that more so because of the dirt roads we take sometimes. Didn't feel like having the drain pipes ripped off if I get in a tight spot. As long as you have a minimum 6", preferebly 9" between the bed and the overhang you should be OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts