Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first problem with my truck a couple months back and just got a chance to ask this question. 40 k miles and the front hubs went out. started hearing what sounded like gravel in a hub cap. Is this a common problem with the GM 4X4 truck? What can I expect?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I heard the same sound you describe about a month ago at 20000miles, but then it went away. Sounded like a bearing going out. Heard of some of these problems before as well and my local dealer told me that oversized tires cause them to go out. I told him that they better not with 285s.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Gooch--Yeah,I don't think GM redesigned the hubs from say a 2001{my former ride}2500HD to present and if that's the case,no they won't last that long.I changed mine at about 45K.My dealer said the bearings are sealed but spinning in oozy mud will do them in.I'm at that mileage now with my 04.5 and so far all is well.I remember those suckers were pricey.Regards,Wayne:exactly:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced both of mine at 60,000 on my 03 2500hd. They are a pricey unless you know somebody in the parts world. Not to hard to change.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
New Part #?

I'm doing my drivers today. Getting it from the dealer as no one else has it in. Dealer I'm dealing with seams pretty good and I'm not going to cry (to much) about the price ($300). In doing my calling around he did inform me that the one they have is a NEW part number. Cost on the old one was almost $100 more. I'd shop around more but of course, timing is bad and I need the truck. I'm just glad this happened now and not on the BIG trip we have planned in 3 months. I'll definitely be checking and watching the passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution to this problem? One that is maintainable would be great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts