Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the highway today in our first real snow of the year and noticed (heard/felt) a vibration while in 4WD at about 60MPH.
It didn't sound terrible but it was noticable. At first I thought it might just be the road condition but noticed it changed with acceleration. It happens when under a load ie maintaining speed or excellerating but not when I come off it. Below 60 I think it is still there but much less noticable. Switch to 2WD..gone, 4WD back again. It does not sound like it is coming from one side more than the other.

Transfer case and front end checked awhile back and never any signs of leaks. I will check again once the snow stops. Anyone have any thoughts on a cause or similar experience? I will make an appt to have it check out this week.

Thanks for any insight,

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It sounds like a front driveshaft imbalance. I wouldn't worry about it if you can't feel it under 60mph. 4WD isn't really needed at 60 mph.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine has the same "problem", except it starts at 55 mph.
Dealer said it is normal and that almost every 4x4 customer has mentioned it. This is my 4th 2500HD, but by far the most vibration in 4x4. My buddy just bought a 2003, 1500, same noise. For the price of these trucks, you would expect something more refined.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you really shouldnt be running at those speeds..... i mean it is possible.....but really advised against......

this is my 3rd 2500hd first diesel...... and i dont ever remember going 60 mph in 4x4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I generally do not run over 50-55 in snow. It does depend on conditions and traffic. If I am in some traffic and I need to pass I want to do it quickly, thats when I noticed it yesterday. I would rather be in front of them then right in with them.

If the road is covered with snow I use 4WD at any speed. If for some reason I start to drift I find accelerating out of it is the best way to correct. If this is normal that's cool. I just noticed this yesterday being that it was the first time I had used 4WD I don't want to break anything. I guess if I hear that vibration it is my reminder to slow down.
My concern was today I hear it at higher speeds, tomorrow I hear it at 35 MPH and during another snow storm it adopts a certain grinding characteristic. I guess I have gotten spoiled too this truck is one smooth ride. My old f*rd vibrated once in motion. Next time it snows I'll slow down and enjoy my ride!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
You guys need to commute a couple hundred miles a day on glare ice for a few months a year. Your attitudes about 4wd use would likely change. 4wd can help you maintain control while cornering, accellerating (even from 60 to 70) and even slowing down. You will find that when control is lost sometimes brakes are useless, and drive power is priceless. If I can't see pavement you can bet I'm in 4wd even at 75 mph on a freeway (along with the flow of traffic). I have never been at fault in an accident.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Slayer A FEW MONTHS common now tell the truth. Its December and already its been a few months ok its just felt like a few months and we still have a few to go. And yes that 4wd is great.

(along with the flow of traffic). Its funny how things speed up around here in the winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea, my commute usually takes less time during the winter months when tourists are down south and dumb asses slide off the road and out of my way. It's amazing how smooth traffic will flow when everyone has to maintain their lanes and following distances, refrain from sudden moves and respect each others space. I haven't had any trouble yet this winter (knock on wood) but I guess by the calendar it isn't even winter yet. --SS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SS and cwolfe, a little input from a couple of Alaskans sure help a guy not feel like some reckless scofflaw. You guys have some serious winter up there.

Spent a month in Alaska a few years back, definetely the most beautiful place I been to. It was in summer though. Winter I could probably deal with but would be the lack of light I'd find most challenging.

Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have not felt any abnormal vibration in 4x4 at any speed. Sounds like you might have something out of balance. The only thing is I can feel i'm in 4wd when I slow down due to torque steer and reduced turning radius on pavement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts