Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be a pain... Mods, please move this to wherever it belongs...Anyway, I have a 1995 GMC K-1500 that has the front end stuck in 4wd. A few years ago I replaced the thermal actuator on the front end with a Rancho electronic one. The front drive shaft keeps spinning and the 4wd light on the floor shifter still stays lit, but I do know for sure that the t-case is in 2wd. I could understand if I lost 4wd at the front end due to the actuator or connections, but what would cause it to be "stuck" in 4wd although the floor shifter is in 2wd?

I just want to know where to look first....Thanks

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It sounds like your pretty familiar with the 4wd system, but have you tried backing the truck up? That's usually what I do to make it pop out.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried to back it up and even pulled the fuse for the 4WD. The light on the floor shifter goes out, but the front driveshaft still spins.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your positive the t-case is in 2wd, I had an older truck that the shifter was in 2wd, but the linkage was broken and thus it was stuck in 4wd. When I moved the shifter it felt as though I was actually shifting the t-case even though nothing was happening.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope..It's definitely in 2WD. I don't get the "scrubbing" at the front wheels when I take a sharp turn. 4WD Hi and Lo work fine.
I'm just wondering where the signal to lock up the front end electrically comes from....

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had a 97 f-250 and it would get stuck in 4wd all the time. i had to manually turn the front axles and they would pop out of 4wd with some movement. im not sure if this is your case though.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
JRKRACE;1567754; said:
Nope..It's definitely in 2WD. I don't get the "scrubbing" at the front wheels when I take a sharp turn. 4WD Hi and Lo work fine.
I'm just wondering where the signal to lock up the front end electrically comes from....
http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_196_Four_Wheel_Drive_Actuator_Switch.html

"Four Wheel Drive Actuator Switch for all 6.5 equipped 4x4 K series P/U Trucks. This switch is what supplies power to the Four Wheel Drive Actuator (TLA) p/n ssd-019."

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds like the T-case is disengaged but the automatic hubs are stuck. You did say that you weren't getting the scrub when you made a sharp turn.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone think that the "switch" can fail in the "on" position? Maybe so. Does anyone have a GM P/N on this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts