Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, i drive 175 miles up the coast, get into positioning my 5r in the campsite..get back in and read "service 4wd" on the dic. anyone out there have this occur? only 4800 miles on the truck. no problems as of yet. the neutral red lite was on near the 4wd pushbuttons .

i set the system to 2wd and never saw the problem again.?!23

maybe theres just too many bells and whistles on these new rigs..later bc

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, my '01 6.0L gasser did it and it was actually the switch on the dash. Actually, it's not exactly just a switch. It sends a voltage representing the button you've pushed to the computer. A voltage regulator in this module was not properly heat sinked/soldered on many of these '01s

On the newer ones, they are replacing an encoder motor or some such on the front axle. Post down in dmaxAlliTech's area, Eric will know about it. Mine did the same as yours ONCE and hasn't returned. I believe I recall some folks actually ending up in 4 wheel drive and having to remove the 4WD fuse under the hood until they could get it in for service.

@#$%%^&* computers anyway

I still think we need a CONTROL/ALT/DELETE on these things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bob

Mine did the same thing. Called the stealer on my cell phone and he said to shut off the truck and wait a few minutes and restart it and it should correct it self. Bingo it worked. he said he would put an incindent on it in my file.??? not sure what that means.

EngineerBill

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
EngineerBill said:
Bob

Mine did the same thing. Called the stealer on my cell phone and he said to shut off the truck and wait a few minutes and restart it and it should correct it self. Bingo it worked. he said he would put an incindent on it in my file.??? not sure what that means.

EngineerBill

Code is still there, problem is still there. Refer to TSB forum, I have posted the TSB to correct the service 4wd light on 03's.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want to thank you guys for the posts, after talking to the service rep at banks chevy cadillac in concord nh, she mentioned what you acknowledged..to turn off and restart to clear all...she also mentioned that gm is acknowleging this problem out there and is trying to figure it out...later, bc

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Bob, they are way past the 'trying to figure out part'... see the TSB forum for the fix! The light might go out with cycling the key, but code is still there.

Eric

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had to have the encoder motor replaced at 2K miles when I was getting both "Service 4WD" on the DIC and my pushbutton lights were going nuts. Since then, the "Service 4WD" sometimes comes up in the DIC, maybe once every 2000 miles, but it seems to be a false message. I can clear it by pressing the reset on the steering wheel.

I will bring it to the dealer's attention on next visit there.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
K1, when was your encoder replaced? If it was before the tsb release, it may not have the updated position switch. Or, there could be another problem, It should have stored a code so I would have it checked out.

Eric

·
Registered
868 Posts
Eric, I believe it was before the TSB. The problem first came up in early March 2003 and they replaced it when the parts came in the following month. I think the TSB came out after they did the work. I will have to look at my records, and will definitely bring it to their attention.

K1XV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts