Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the carpet in my 94 Blazer. Now the 4wd is not engaging. Is there an electrical connector at the floor shifter that I missed plugging in? I don't remember.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
There is a switch on top of the Xfer case that controls the front axle actuator. But you shouldn't have disturbed it putting in carpet. Its connection is outside the cab. The only electrical that I know of in the shift cover you removed to install carpet, are the 4x4 indicator lights. Maybe the 4x4 light came unplugged and is causing the problem? Or just not lighting up? Bulb may have burned out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be an odd coincidence, but it gives me a place to start. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If you have verified the front axle is not locking in. Then the problem may be in the front actuator. 94s have the old thermal type. Which are known to fail. If it is bad, the 4x4 wont work, and the light for the front axle will not come on. They are easy to replace.
You can upgrade to the newer motorized type. It works a lot better than the older thermal type..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have verified the front axle is not locking in. Then the problem may be in the front actuator. 94s have the old thermal type. Which are known to fail. If it is bad, the 4x4 wont work, and the light for the front axle will not come on. They are easy to replace.
You can upgrade to the newer motorized type. It works a lot better than the older thermal type..
These are the symptoms. I will start with the front actuator. Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I have to specify the motorized type or is that the standard now?

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Do I have to specify the motorized type or is that the standard now?
I believe the motorized actuators were installed 98'+ model years

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
Same for Gas and Diesel:

Here is an thread on the upgrade:

Here is YT videos but there is a lot of them if you want to watch it and learn how to do it.

You can also google "GM 4WD actuator upgrade"

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Maybe check the conns. at the convenience center are plugged in good.
They will not stop 4wd but the lights won't work.

Reactions: JMJNet

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
This make sense since it happened after a carpet replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the simplest test to place the truck in 4wd and put a test light across the actuator connector? Light "on" means the actuator is bad?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Yes. Also if you are not getting 12v to the actuator check the fuse.. When the Actuator goes bad it can blow the Xfer case fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts