Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to find my truck with the options I want, I'm considering relaxing my requirement for only a 2WD and am now willing to consider a 4WD. My biggest concern is the reduction in mileage. What could I expect as the difference between 2WD and 4WD? The truck is a 2500HD Crew Cab, obviously with the LBZ.

Thanks,

LD

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am not sure, but I think if you are considering mileage (ie money spent on fuel) you might want to look more at how much extra $$$ you will paying up front to get the 4WD. That's a lot of fuel right there.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ditto....

And the first time you get stuck and need a tow out of a backcountry road, you'll pay for the 4x4 option... or at least most of the extra fuel.

My '03 Tundra was a 2wd, as was my '94 p/u. I rarely ever use 4x4, but the one time you actually need it, you'll be kicking yourself for not having it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
2 wheel drive do get better gas mileage but like RichLockyer said it will pay for itself the first time that you get stuck and wish you had 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ditto here. Went to the snow one weekend in 2wd, got stuck; put it into 4wd, pull out no problem. It's nice to have when you need it. Plus, you should get better resale value on a 4wd as compare to 2wd.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
And the only thing that looks more badass than a 4x4 is a 4x4 dually :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Think about this too, Duramax and Ally's are a heavy combo. My ext. cab weigh in at the best part of 7,000 lbs. and I would venture to say 60% + is on the front axle. I need to weigh front and back now, because I am curious. The extra weight on the front will "stick" diesel a lot quicker.IMO Just something to think about.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just checked my truck weighs 6340 lbs., 3936lbs. on front axle and 2404 lbs. on back. That's a 62% on front and 38% on back axle. Get 4X4.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Guess that answers my question as well. I also was looking for a 2wd but finally settled with a 4wd in order to buy off lot. I should be picking it up tonight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My biggest concern is the reduction in mileage. What could I expect as the difference between 2WD and 4WD? LD
Probably not enough to make any noticeable difference. It's a truck after all and initial cost of a 4X4 is relative to what the truck is worth later when it's time to sell or trade. Weight distribution is about 60/40 so the front will certainly pull better than the back will push. If ya want it, buy it. If you're concerned about a 1 or 2MPG difference, forget the truck and buy yourself a Hyundai; otherwise, buy your "Mac Daddy" 4x4 truck and enjoy!!!Truck on!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
4 X 4 - These trucks are light in the back end for the power. The difference in fuel mileage isn't even enough to worry about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just traded my 2wd for a 4x4. I spend weekends in the desert riding dirtbikes. My last week with the old truck, I got a flat on a dirtbike and had to go get it with the truck. Its no fun being stuck up to your axels in sand, and AAA will not come off road (no cell service anyway). Now, with the 4x4, I go looking for tough stuff.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Get 4wd. I was in the same situation as you when I was buying. You will probably get stuck in 2wd. IIRC resale is better on a 4x4 also.

I was convinced when someone said...

"What if you decide to get a big boat someday and need to tow that sucker out of a slippery boat launch"...

hmm... maybe I will have a big boat someday?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
One thing to keep in mind....

With 2wd, when you're stuck, you're stuck.

With 4wd, when you're stuck, you're screwed :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
4x4 is the only way to go. mileage is slightly less but in the long run you will have more fun with the 4x4. Besides if you are worried about mileage you would not be buying a 7k lb p/u anyway.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If your not planning on going 'off road' and getting stuck. Save the money and the fuel and get the 2wd. Higher payload as well.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Great advice from someone who doesn't have a DMax there, Dewfpo. I've been stuck 3 ft off the pavement on wet grass and had to use 4x4. I've also been in snowy and icy conditions IN MY DMAX that were practically uncontrollable in 2wd. You shouldn't offer such decisive advice if you haven't experienced the drivability issues of the vehicle. But I've only got 4 years and 118,000 miles on mine - so what do I know?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Driving around in the snow around here, I'm glad to have 4wd. Saw a 2wd coming up our hill this morning, sideways, spinning and weaving back and forth. That's fun when no one else is around, but when there are trees, kids, busses, cars and houses that can be hit, the white-knuckling get old fast.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Great advice from someone who doesn't have a DMax there, Dewfpo. I've been stuck 3 ft off the pavement on wet grass and had to use 4x4. I've also been in snowy and icy conditions IN MY DMAX that were practically uncontrollable in 2wd. You shouldn't offer such decisive advice if you haven't experienced the drivability issues of the vehicle. But I've only got 4 years and 118,000 miles on mine - so what do I know?
Your right, I'm sorry I came across as stupid to you and insulted your savant intelligence. I drive a 8.1L that is heavy in the front end as well (granted not as much as a Dmax) and live at 7,200 feet in elevation so I know snow..... perhaps even better than you (but how would I know?).

I don't know where the original poster is from (he didn't list it in his sig) so I didn't assume he drives in the same conditions as you.

I didn't realize that I wasn't qualified to give my own opinion about heavy front end 2500HD trucks. I'll check with you next time before I open my mouth.

Again, Sorry.

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts