Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have noticed that when I select the 4WD low range button it takes about thirty seconds for it stop blinking (engage). While 2WD High is almost instantaneous. Don't get me wrong, I got the thirty seconds to spare, it is really just an observation not a complaint.

BTW, I just took my wife out and she pulled our travel trailer around the neighborhood, downtown and on the freeway for about twenty miles. She did a great job and I would feel comfortable having her pull it just about anywhere. This truck really does make it much easier and safer to tow.

Wow, this is a great machine. I like it more each time I drive it.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
It has been my knowledge from towing for years to never engage 4-LO unless you are STUCK... and when i say stuck i mean stuck. Use 4-Hi allllll the time. 4-Lo locks up your differentials and causes all 4 wheels to spin compared to 4-hi where only 1 front and 1 rear tire are spinning. We blew up a Chevy Blazer motor once when we were off-roading with her. Put it in 4-lo and was revving it up to try to get her out of a ditch... not a minute into trying to get her out and 3 broken piston rods. My mechanic told me to never use 4-Lo unless i'm realllllly stuck so to this day i think i have used 4-Lo once or twice and i have been plowing for over 10 years. Basically... be careful when engaging in 4-Lo!!!

As for it taking so long to kick in... when i had my older trucks without the push button 4WD control we had to use the parking break, put the tranny in nuetral, the 4WD control in nuetral and wait a minute before shifting into 4-Lo... if not a terrible clunk would result. With the new electronic 4WD control it possibly does all these steps for you so that may be the cause for the time delay in shifting.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mine I can hear a noticable electric noise when engaging 4 low. 4 hi will shift in while in drive but low wont- it has to be in neutral. I put it in 4 low just to see what kind of power and RPMs, without being in the mud.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I disagree that you should never use 4 lo. I use 4 lo a lot, not usually for the traction, but more for the gearing. It is great to have that nice low gearing when you are halfway up the mountain on some goat trail.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
It has been my knowledge from towing for years to never engage 4-LO unless you are STUCK... and when i say stuck i mean stuck. Use 4-Hi allllll the time. 4-Lo locks up your differentials and causes all 4 wheels to spin compared to 4-hi where only 1 front and 1 rear tire are spinning.
The only way your differentials lock up is IF you have locking differentials. Driving in 4-Lo has no different effect on the differentials than 4-Hi. However, since the transfer case reduces the drive ratio, it is very easy to over-rev the engine if you're not paying attention.

I have drove 4x4's since my first one in 1973, and have used 4-lo a lot, but NOT usually to get unstuck. Most of the time I use it to climb steep grades or for pulling things like tree stumps or stuck vehicles. :ro)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only way your differentials lock up is IF you have locking differentials. Driving in 4-Lo has no different effect on the differentials than 4-Hi. However, since the transfer case reduces the drive ratio, it is very easy to over-rev the engine if you're not paying attention.

I have drove 4x4's since my first one in 1973, and have used 4-lo a lot, but NOT usually to get unstuck. Most of the time I use it to climb steep grades or for pulling things like tree stumps or stuck vehicles. :ro)
Exactly

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

You cant over rev the engine the rev limiter is set so that no amount of throttle can be given plus the truck is smart and knows when to upshift. And the dashed red area you see on the tach isnt actually redline.

·
Registered
31,526 Posts
I disagree that you should never use 4 lo. I use 4 lo a lot, not usually for the traction, but more for the gearing. It is great to have that nice low gearing when you are halfway up the mountain on some goat trail.
X2

·
Registered
627 Posts
A lot of guys use 4lo for plowing driveways and such too in deep snow.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
You cant over rev the engine the rev limiter is set so that no amount of throttle can be given plus the truck is smart and knows when to upshift. And the dashed red area you see on the tach isnt actually redline.
Sorry, I'm still used to gassers w/o limiters......:eek::

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hello,

I have noticed that when I select the 4WD low range button it takes about thirty seconds for it stop blinking (engage). While 2WD High is almost instantaneous. Don't get me wrong, I got the thirty seconds to spare, it is really just an observation not a complaint.

BTW, I just took my wife out and she pulled our travel trailer around the neighborhood, downtown and on the freeway for about twenty miles. She did a great job and I would feel comfortable having her pull it just about anywhere. This truck really does make it much easier and safer to tow.

Wow, this is a great machine. I like it more each time I drive it.
Mark--are you engaging 4 lo like the manual says? If you're not,that might be why it takes so long.Mine goes in about 10 sec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts