Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 chev dmax 4wd ext cab with 103k miles. When I DRIVE in 4hi, or 4low, forward, backward there is this clunking noise coming from what sounds like my transfer case, or perhaps drivers side cv shaft? It only happens when I'm putting stress on the front tires (they grab better than the rear tires sometimes in snow). It will not really do it under normal driving in 4wd, but it will in a flat parking lot, with some minor snow drifts. I did the back up in 4hi trick to see if I could hear the rythmic cvshaft knuckles cracking sound, but there was none. Last year I replaced pass side cv shaft, but not drivers. Pass side cvshaft was in many pieces when it came out, due to it's destruction. It still didn't sound quite like what I hear now under my truck. I'm afraid to look under truck for fear of bad news. Maybe it will just go away??? :) Any help appreciated.

JS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Well, NO. I'm thinking that would be nice if that were the case, but after further testing, I belive that it is a little more than fluid. I can actually watch the driveshaft for the front diff "jump" once in a while. I have heard that perhaps a baring died, and the shaft gets in the right place, and is able to "jump" a gear. From what I have looke at, this could be the case?

Did you check the fluid level in your t-case?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is the parking lot dry in some spots? I'm guessing that you're plowing, right? You weren't too clear on the conditions of the driving surface.

What's the difference in tread wear between the front and rear tires?

Are you turning much?

What it sounds like to me is driveline bind. The t-case lacks an internal differential, so the differences in distance traveled by the front and rear tires causes the gears in the t-case and front/rear differentials to mesh tightly. When the torque placed on the drivetrain overcomes the traction of a tire, the stored energy releases and can cause the clunking that you're hearing, and will definitely cause the front driveshaft to "jump" as it will allow for more movement than the rear shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts