Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to start the 2wd/4wd debate (again). I would like to know if there is a big difference between towing a 5th wheel trailer with a 2wd truck and a 4wd truck. Is the stance in a 4wd truck going to make hooking up the 5th wheel a problem? (Compared to slightly lower stance of a 2wd truck)I've never towed a 5th wheel before.Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I went from a (2002) 2500HD 2wd to a (2005) 2500HD 4wd and didn't have to change a thing. Just had the hitch removed from the bed of the old truck and installed in the bed of the new truck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 4x4 and pull a 29' 5er with no problems. Was told by my dealer before I bought trailer to measure the side rails, if it was more then 53" from the ground then my truck was too high. Mine with stock suspension is 52" from ground. Truck and trailer are level when towing, and I haven't had any clearance issues either. Note, if you have a short bed you will need to get a sildng hitch for clearance of the cab when turning sharp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be buying a long bed. I'm just hung up on whether to get a 2wd or 4wd truck. I just wanted to research the pros and cons of each.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The best part about 4wd towing is if you get in a slick situation you can still get the trailer going if you need the extra traction.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the biggest difference is if you need 4x4. If you have to back up a hill to get to a spot 4x4 low is nice. two weeks ago I went to the coast and the park where we stayed the spots were grass and about 10" elevated I pulled in slow and started to slip, pushed a button and pulled right in. I could have backed up and went a little faster, but 4x4 is nice when you need it. I have pulled with both and I perfer 4x4. but you need to look at what are your needs and pocket book, 4 wheel is usually more expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Exactly what doubleduce said. I have an incline up my gravel driveway to get my trailer into the back yard. It is nice get it lined up hit the button to 4 low and barely touch the go pedal to get it up there. I think it is also easier on the transmission, backing the weight uphill would create allot of heat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After having a 2500HD 2WD I moved to a 3500 4x4. I had the same problums inclines either rock gravel or slick grass is a headach. Get the 4x4 I love mine and if your spending that kind of cash why not get all the goodies

·
Registered
629 Posts
Get it! If you live anywhere where snow sticks on the ground, you'll use it every winter. But there are other situations as well-- some of which have been mentioned. You will always have a sense that if you need it, it's there for you. --Paul.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Whether or not you should get a 4wd depends on if you will ever need it. Where I live, there are very few guys towing with 2 wd trucks. There are many times when I have been glad to have more tires turning to get me out of sandy pastures with a heavy trailer.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
had some guys this weekend pickup an old ford two ton truck that I had here on the farm. He had a 95 dodge one ton with a cummins two wheel drive automatic. I watched him attemped to back up with the truck on the trailer up a slight grade towards my shop. plenty of power but trans stalled when he wanted to go less than ten mph backwards if 4wd he could of low ranged it as previosly stated. resale is better on 4 wheel drive nothing like having to get towed out because one rear tire is on the grass a foot off the road to want one. if pickup box rails are to close to trailer have trailer axles placed under the leaf springs instead of over them and extend the trailer hitch down.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
No, you won't have any problems...Never owned a 2wd truck and we have a 30' fiver.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get the 4wd. I had a couple when i lived in Southern Cal (where there would supposedly be no use for it) and I found uses for it all the time. Like it has been said you will love it for backing a trailer up a hill. I have a friend that had the samething happen that Farmer said with his 2wd Ram...LAME!!! It is dumb to have a big powerfull truck that will be disabled when you are on a steep hill or on something a little slippery. the additional cost is minimal and what is $1500 or so more when you are spending $45k+??

GET THE 4WD...YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!:exactly:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Actually I think I was quoted $3000.00 difference between 2WD and 4WD. This is on a 3500 CC dually. The lighter trucks may be cheaper though. I figured with the money I was paying you might as well get everything. I am trading in a 2WD that I have driven for the last 10 years. I probably averaged getting it pulled out once a year. Thats also not counting the places I stayed out of that I didn't think it would make it through. So I spent the extra 3 grand when I ordered mine. Just my .02 on the subject

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have used it a few times in slippery situations in campgrounds, regularly when pulling my boat out of the water and would be SOL without it in my (steep) driveway in winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts