Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Basically just remove all the guts of both trannys, then remove the snap ring that holds the output shaft to the rear geartrain. Do this on both and swap the output shafts as you wish, when you go to reinstall put the shaft into place and re-install the snap ring. Put them back together and then the final step is to swap the tailhousings. Replace the seal and bushing at the rear of the tailhousing when you do it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Be careful with which bits go with which transmission, as, depending on the year of the 4l80e, there can be slightly different parts inside. Just swap the tailshaft.

Or you could just put in the other transmission...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Davester the trans that is messing up is a 93 two wheel drive and the other is a 94 four wheel drive. I really was hopping I could just change the tail shaft, but I think the output shaft is different not really sure bout that. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't know your specific application, as I've just dealt with mine ('04 Sierra 3500, converting from 2wd to 4wd), and for that, it definitely has a different output shaft, which is literally the second or third part you install in the housing. And from what I've read when rebuilding a 4l80e as part of doing the conversion, I'm pretty sure it's the same deal for you. That's why I suggested just swapping the transmissions, as to swap the output shaft, you've got to fully disassemble both transmissions to swap the one part over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts