Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, Crew, LB, Duals, F code with 141 Block. Replaced 90% under the hood this year.
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read most of the threads. New trans, Torque converter, center bearing, Trans mount, Trans cooler. Also doing rear axle bearings, seals and new diff fluid. I have the recommended 3' socket extensions and a basic transmission jack. Oldest son coming over for more brawn as well. Anything you wished you have done in a different order etc?

Thank you all.

Jim P

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
I've read most of the threads. New trans, Torque converter, center bearing, Trans mount, Trans cooler. Also doing rear axle bearings, seals and new diff fluid. I have the recommended 3' socket extensions and a basic transmission jack. Oldest son coming over for more brawn as well. Anything you wished you have done in a different order etc?

Thank you all.

Jim P
Inspect your flexplate really well. Centers are known to crack. Since you have great access to it you can replace it if needed

Reactions: 56pan

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, Crew, LB, Duals, F code with 141 Block. Replaced 90% under the hood this year.
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have new flexplate and flexplate bolts.

Thanks!

Jim O

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Make sure flex plate is an exact copy... counter weight and same amount of teeth.... The 6.5l diesel is different from all GM flywheels. Dropping the cross member makes removing trans bolts a lot easier. A impact universal on the long extension makes things easier. Do not pull trans up with bolts, and make sure the convertor has slack between it and the flywheel before bolting it up.. That makes sure the convertor is fully engaged in trans and is not on top of the pump gear which breaks when forced on. Tech Tip> note one flex plate bolt hole has a slot. Tighten that one first and the others will auto align up....... One big tip > A lot of the later GM trucks have an extra hole in the hood hinge. Take one bolt out and you can swing the hood straight up. Install bolt in the extra hole and the hood is out of the way.... Try searching the net for that tip.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All old is out, all new is in. Definitely made things easier having the long (36") socket extensions. So tell me about the screw-ball large connector...It is leaking slightly, how do you get it tight so no leak?

Appreciate it, I'm definitely not getting something.

Jim P

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Connector is loose, probably broken tabs. Ordered a new internal harness, will be here this week.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Works great. The tabs on the connector were not broken, but it was still leaking a very small bit. Put new harness in it, no more leak and I runs great. New Trans, Torque converter, speed sensors, internal harness, All synthetic fluid and new trans cooler in front. Now for front and rear wheel bearings, hubs, axle seals etc. A basic transmission jack and the long extensions made all the difference doing R and R (with two people). The dipstick was a PITA, took an hour to put back in.
Thanks for riding along.

Jim P

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Works great. The tabs on the connector were not broken, but it was still leaking a very small bit. Put new harness in it, no more leak and I runs great. New Trans, Torque converter, speed sensors, internal harness, All synthetic fluid and new trans cooler in front. Now for front and rear wheel bearings, hubs, axle seals etc. A basic transmission jack and the long extensions made all the difference doing R and R (with two people). The dipstick was a PITA, took an hour to put back in.
Thanks for riding along.

Jim P
New Flex plate and bolts as well.

Reactions: JMJNet
1 - 9 of 9 Posts