Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my truck back on the road after 8 months out of service due to lack of $$$$,Rebuilt IP new Injectors and a trans rebuilt by a friend.With about 150 mi the trans is slipping real bad.I need my truck real bad and am tired of paying for a dead horse.I found a GM reman 4L80E trans out of a 94 gas truck with about 20K miles.In the local paper this would give me time to figure out what went wrong with mine and give me a back up when mine is fixed or vice a versa.Anyone have any idea if they will interchange?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Any DTC codes?

Look in FAQ's for method of pulling the codes without a scanner.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
His is a 98, don't think he can pull codes w/o scanner.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Oops! Yer rite!

Ok - an OBD-II scanner\code reader is available from Harbor Freight for 40 bucks

Just plug it in, and weep!;)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
IIRC the trannys are the same except you need to use your diesel torque converter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94 Trans will not work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good affordable reman trans supplier?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
No, '94 and '98 have different shift linkage that will have to be switched.

·
Registered
158 Posts
http://www.roadmastertranz.com/

got mine from here when I was stationed in Germany and tranny went south.....awesome tranny is all I can say. Give them a shot.

jamminGMC:D

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Give Suncoast transmission a call, they are a site sponsor, mostly for DMAX trans, but at dyno day they hosted 2 years ago I was impressed with their shop, I'll bet they know their way around a 4L80 as well.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/gmc/gm_products.html

moving this to the transmission section, you may get better responses there, more than 1 tranny builder on the site

1 - 9 of 9 Posts