Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The long and short of it is I installed a tranny temp sensor in place of the plug behind the shift lever yesterday. To do this I had to remove two bolts on the plate behind the shift lever and rotate it up and out of the way (is this the nsbu?). Anyway now with everything in place I have the (P) when in park but when I shift to reverse the (N) neutral light lights up and from there on out everything is one position off. The truck still starts and drives OK, but I would like to get things working properly again. I followed the cable adjustment procedure for my 1996 but it didn't seem to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Find another place to hook your sensor to. Never move factory parts to install aftermarket stuff. The sensor should be reading sump fluid remps, not case temps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The plug I put the sensor in is commonly used for that purpose and nothing was "relocated" to put it there. I simple removed two bolts rotated the plate up, installed the sensor and then put the plate back where it was. it is in the same spot, but as I said before, something is not quite right. I would also like to point out that to read a "sump" temp I would have to remove the "factory" tranny pan to drill and tap it, I really wasn't up for this so I installed it where it seems more than half the people on this forum have also installed it. In the plug hole behind the tranny shift lever on the drivers side of the transmission.

I'm really not interested in a what temp is most accurate/pre-turbo/post turbo/pre tranny cooler/post tranny cooler/sump/case type argument since they all can be justified to one extent or another. Any temp is better than no temp and even the best placed temp probe is only good if the person using it knows what's too hot and what's not or what's normal and what's abnormal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That "plate" is the prndl switch,you can do 3 things to get it right. 1. put bolts back in the exact spot they were (there is usually a witness mark dirt or rust where they were originally) 2. Wipe all the dirt off switch until you see the tiny lines molded on switch,you will see a N for neutral,shift truck into neutral and see if it is lined up,if not loosen bolts and rotate switch until it does 3.Put a scanner on it (like a snapon mt-2500) and check to see if it shows neutral in neutral,park in park etc,if not loosen the 2 bolts and rotate it back and forth making small adjustments until it does. Smitty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts