Diesel Place banner

4L80E acting wierd after repair.

Question: 
1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  SwedenChey 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello guys!

So, i have just got my 4l80e repaired by a workshop for bout' 3000 dollars, it was totally worn out.

I have been drivin it for bout 300 miles and then the problems started.

The problems started with a engine light giving me the code P0756, Shift solenoid B performance/stuck off.
And it wouldnt let me shift any further then 1st gear.

So i took it to my workshop and unpulled the cable, measured both A n' B solenoids to 20 OHM, and from what ive read that should be OK.

Made a reset on the light and took it for a drive, went bout 20 miles without any problems. And now:

1. When i put it in park for some minutes with engine idling and then try to either go into R or D it wont put it into gear, and when i restart the engine it works fine.

2. When i take off and turn, it has a hard time shifting gears. And the whole car "shakes" sounding like its having a hard time to "clutch".

3. Overall its acting wierd pulling gears up and down while driving.

I have put way to much money into this car considering what its worth, and i really hope i dont have to unmount the transmission again :thumbsdow .

I have also checked the oil level several times.

I know people on this forum are very skilled and hope someone knows whats up..

(The car is a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 2500, w/ 6,5L, 4L80E.)

/ Best regards Dennis

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Form

Missed filling this one out above.

1. State model, year of vehicle and mileage: Chevrolet Suburban,1997, 186.400

2. How long did you own the truck? Recent purchase? 8 Years.

3. Any service engine light: yes/no. Intermittant check engine light?
This is called CEL or MIL . "Listed above".

4. Fluid level okay with the engine and transmission warm? Check on
a level surface? Yes.

5. Have you retrieved Codes? AKA DTCs Diagnostic Trouble codes. "Listed above"

6. Fluid color and smell? Red or Brown does the fluid smell burnt? Red, does smell abit burnt.

7. Speedometer reading correctly at the appropriate speed? Are the tires the within OEM specifications and size? Use your GPS and verify speed. electronic transmissions remember? Its correctly.

8. Is the transmission shifting normal? Is it shifting hard? Do recall the shifting symptoms or any shifting changes before or after the check engine light or after you retrieved codes: It does shift hard and wierd, also listed above.

9. Did you or anyone else conduct any kind of maintenance to the vehicle recently? I mounted/dismounted a firm made the repairing.

10. Can you explain the type of driving? Heavy towing? Snowplowing? Just casual sunday drives, and cruising.

11. Typical weather. Arizona hot mild winters? Minnessota cold. Please explain. I live in Sweden , its somewhere between cold af and warm af.

10. Any problems with driver commanded/selected shifting into any gear?
ie.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Rev? Yes.

8. Describe symptoms: Does the transmission refuse to shift in first? Will it shift into second and just stay in second gear? "listed above"

8a. TCC Locking? Is the transmission slipping in any gear? "listed above"

8b. Is the transmission shifting into all FWD gears? At the
normal RPMs while the shift selector is in drive? Is it shifting later
than usual? "listed above"

Can your vehicle shift into all gears?
If you have a tachometer can you "notice" all forward gears shifting if you are not sure if the transmission is shifting? Sometimes it shifts into all gears.

#3 ·
Get a 9 volt battery and momentarily hook it up to the solenoid and see if its actually clicking.

Check pin E on the connector for 12 volts. If nothing or intermittent voltage, check the grounds and then do some testing on the ignition switch.

#6 ·
Ok so, solenoid is replaced. PIN E is 12v when ign is on. Ive also put a new ground cable directly from the battery to trans... the car is undriveable.... it goes into gear for a bout 50m then it wont work until i restart the engine...

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply i really appreciate it!!

I'll be back at the garage by tuesday so i will let you know how it went then.

What do you mean with ignition test? Should i test the pins by my ignition lock?

/ Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.