Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 gmc with the lbz motor, and I'm running the power pup programer on the performance level with an AFE stage 2 intake. I have stock exhaust system less the muffler. I am thinking of running a 4in down pipe to the cat and a 5in from the cat back. Has anyone tried this? Would it benefit to do this? I know about adding a finger stick and the egr blocker plate just didnt want to cut into my wiring.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Yes, it will definately help. Most, if not all 5" kits on the market will have a 4" front-pipe as there is not enough room there for 5" pipe. A full 4" kit will give you all the performance you can get though so the 5" will be more for looks/cool factor. That being said, the 5" kits are VERY popular now and actually sound great on the LBZ's. You may or may not throw trouble codes when you ditch your cat, if so you will have two options; get a fingerstick, or put the converter back on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good thanks for the info:rockit:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you keeping the cat? If so.... I don't think you'll see much difference. The cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on keeping the cat but matching the cat opening to the pipe size inlet and outlet

·
Banned
720 Posts
yeh 4" down pipe 3.5 cat diameter and adapt to 5" that would be like someone puttig there hand around your neck and chocking you out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i ment makeing the cat opening a 4in on one side and 5in on the outlet

·
Registered
182 Posts
5" high flow cat

Does anyone know if there is a high flow cat with both a 5" inlet and outlet? I would weld one into my 5" pipe if it was a high flow model with the right size inlet/outlet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are there high flow cat's that will not be as restrictive as the stocker, but still allowing you to keep a cat on the truck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i called to get some prices on the magnaflow cat its in the area of 600 bucks. ya i guess im just gonna have to bite the bullet and install the finger stick and blocker plate

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just review the threads on here before you do it. It really isn't any big deal and once your done you'll wonder what you were worried about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.