Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that has a very bad slipping tranny. Has anyone of you shade tree mechanics performed a rebuild yourselves? It seems like you can find rebuild kits pretty cheap compared to having a professional shop do it, he really can't afford to take it anywhere right now. Any manuals or tricks of the trade we could use would be great.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Usually the torque converter is the first thing to go but not always. If it is a high milage truck that is what I would suspect first. If he can find some one that is upgrading from stock but hasn't worn theres out maybe he can give them a little money for it and give them his for a core. Just a thought.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling we are going to have to replace the hard parts as well, we are finding metal in the pan, he was hoping just to do the TC, but I think he's going to need more. I work right by ATS, Clint thinks it going to need a rebuild. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a feeling we are going to have to replace the hard parts as well, we are finding metal in the pan, he was hoping just to do the TC, but I think he's going to need more. I work right by ATS, Clint thinks it going to need a rebuild. Thanks for replying!
Can't think of anyone better to do it. I have been running his triple lock for 3 years with the valve body and commander and just love it. If you gotta do it you might as well do the best. :ro)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts