Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my 2500HD to either a 4500 or 5500 and was wondering which would be better. I pull a living quarter horse trailer, loaded with 4 horses and all "stuff" will be around 15,000 lbs. Does anyone know the gooseneck towing capacity of each truck? I know my 2500 is 15,000, but I don't really want to be pulling at maximum capacity, for safety reasons, and fear of harming transmission.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Hey-- Welcome to the diesel place. Please fill out a signiture so we know what kind of truck you have to better help you...

With that said, IMO, you will actually be fine with your 2500. 15,000 pounds is not that much weight for a 2500/3500. Remember the 4500's and 5500's have the exact same engine and transmission. Member "Hired Gun" has been pulling 25,000 pounds with his 3500 dually for a couple years IIRC and hes had no problems. And if you were to stick with your 2500, you would get much better fuel mileage loaded and unloaded. It would also be much nicer to drive around town when you are unloaded. But if you are looking to get a new truck, I really reccomend a 3500 dually with the LBZ engine. Others may chime in, but IMO thats what you would be happiest with for towing 15000 pounds.

Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you that was more my opinion. The trailer company where I am getting my new trailer are the ones who keep saying I need a bigger truck. I would like to keep my truck another year then look at 3500 or bigger. I just needed someone else to confirm that my truck could handle the trailer safely.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, that ended that discussion real quick!

You can get a 4500 with the upgraded 13,500 rear, whith Gross Combined Wt. capacity of 40,000 lbs., the 300Hp/605Tq engine, and Allison.
Even though the GCWR rating is only 26,000 lbs., this combination commonly hauls 33K or more satisfactorily, simply because there is a lot more braking power on the MDT's, and the Tow Vehicle (TV) being heavier (10K+lbs.) is more stable with heavier loads. On the other hand.....the ride is....well, like a truck. Rough and noisy, unless you get rear air suspension, air ride seats, and the air ride cab mount, which is costly, but can render a more civilized ride (almost as good as your 2500, better than the 3500 dually).

The differences between the C5 and C4 is minimal, when it comes to towing trailers. The stiffer frame of the C5 comes into play when HAULING heavy loads, rather than when towing, when there is a relatively light LOAD on the truck's frame rails and suspenssions components. As for the engines in the MDT's vs. the Light Trucks, it is true that they are very similar but there are also distinct differences for use in commercial applications. Going through the GM parts order guide amplifies those differences, and is also why you cannot order many of the MDT parts from your local Pontiac/Chevy dealer directly..... Hence the problems which many MDT owners have with their local shops whenever mechanical repairs are required. (I've been through this several times, and believe me, the car dealers will never admit to mistakes, so it is common to make several visits to fix the same prolem over and over again).

If you feel safe towing your trailer fully loaded with your 2500, then it is best to stick with it for now. The trailer dealer's concern may be due to the inferior braking capacity of any Light Trucks, and stability issues with "shifting loads" (such as livestock/horses) in the trailer. He may be making recommendations based on his experience, since he is obviously not in the business of selling trucks. Giving it another year may be a good idea, as more of these C4/C5 used trucks become available at more reasonable prices. These are fully depreciated by the commercial owners, therefore can be had for a fraction of a new one, although they may be high-mileaged, may have sporatic maintenance performed (if at all), and are held together with Duct-Tape and Bailing-Wire in places that are not easily seen on initial inspections, unless the owners had to maintain DOT, which is another story. It is not uncommon for a commercial company to accumulate 200K on a truck that has been operated by dozens of 21-24 year-olds that barely meet minimum physical, mental, psychological, and ethical requirements..... I would not want one of these trucks to haul my family around on a Grand Canyon vacation, so I would highly recommend doing a VIN check before making any deals! This would reveal any service or repair anomalies associated with the truck (such as NO SERVICE, major repairs due to accidents, or repeated failures of engine parts (not always a bad thing), steering component parts (bad), or brakes (very bad)).

RF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K. so 2005 or 2006

The 4500 we were looking at is a 2005, should I wait and get a 2006 when the price goes down on them? Is it that much better than the 2005? I'm not to up on buying used tow vehicles, because of all the problems and how someone else may have treated them. The truck we looked at is 4500 durmax, automatic, leather, pw, air ride, engine brake, versehauler bed, they are askeing $52,179.00 Is this a good deal???

·
Registered
498 Posts
The 4500 we were looking at is a 2005, should I wait and get a 2006 when the price goes down on them? Is it that much better than the 2005? I'm not to up on buying used tow vehicles, because of all the problems and how someone else may have treated them. The truck we looked at is 4500 durmax, automatic, leather, pw, air ride, engine brake, versehauler bed, they are askeing $52,179.00 Is this a good deal???
With air ride, and after negociating with the salesman, that's not too bad. However, you can try and spec a 5500 at the commercial dealer. The 4500 is through the car dealer, which tend to sell trucks like they do cars, and they have more "hungry mouths" to feed. Commercial dealers (5500) have much smaller sales forces, make good money through their shops, and can cut the MSRP by 10-12% (which means you can get a C5 outfitted to YOUR specs, for less than a prefabbed C4 off the Lot).

RF

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with Radio Flyer 100%!! I do not agree with the statement that you can haul with the 2500 just as safely or as good. I went with a MDT this year and haul a trailer similiar to yours. You give up a little in ride comfort but you gain tons in braking, stability, and function. There is no way in the world I would go back to a regular pickup for towing. The difference is night and day. Your trailer company is giving you good information. Take it and don't end up on a pile on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
IMO for what u are going to do i would get a 3500 and buy a air bag helper system.

But if your interested in a 4500 PM me i have a 04 4500 for sale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts