Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Guys, We have a 2005 Kodiak with the duramax allison. I was heading out of town Friday with a 50' Flatbed Hauling one Chevy HD. I had the Cruise set at 65 and Taking it Very Easy on the Hills And everything, (back Out of it and Turn OD Off) well i topped out of a hill and was cruising across the Flats and was watching the mirrors when It started Smoking pretty Bad. Well I thought i had lost a tire or something So i pull over and check, Everything is Good. I start out again and there is a Problem, NO Power, i didnt have a check engine light and it sounded like it had a slight "miss" The smoke was diesel smoke, but i couldnt tell color as it was night, but i could smell the Diesel Smoke, Deffinatly didnt smell like antifreeze. Any how i tried to limp it to the next town and it was pressurizing the Crankcase and blowing oil out of the Dipstick and Fill Tube. Please Help as i am trying to Figure this out ASAP. Thanks

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,487 Posts
Doesnt sound good . Sorry to hear .

Blowing pressure out crank case isnt a good sign and sounds like cracked piston .

Maybe you stuck an injector .

Are you stuck somewhere right now or did you make it home ?

Start looking around injectors both sides of motor and look at manifolds where they meet heads at ports and look for oil on one of them . On mine when broke you could see fuel and oil on injector and port of manifold .

A stuck injector wide open maybe you are just blowing compression by wash rings from fuel .

Hope for this , do you have a tuner to see injector balance . You should see something .

You can call me if you want . 714-514-3675 John

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,487 Posts
Well hopefully it inst something bad . I have a trailer big enough to haul it if you need your in a jam . Just pay for all the fuel . Im in SoCal .

Not sure if parts store tuner will help . Need to find a dealer or diesel shop in flagstaff .

Blowing out the crankcase has me really concerned it isnt good . And injector related issue . If you had a ppe tuner or efi live you could view the injectors . There might be a member from here in the area .

A dealer local there could see quickly with a tech 2 dianostic computer scanner .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright Well Maybe i will see who the Chevy Dealer is in Flagstaff, anyone know the Name.
Or if anyone has a tuner it would be Great. Let me know thanks, If you want to Call My Name Is Jordan and # is 602 882 7450

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,487 Posts
Sorry if I scared you with something bad being wrong . Maybe it isnt and its just a grounding injector harness . There should be a code though saying that and pointing towards that . I had that issue with the inj . harness and it sounded like I had gas in it and detonated crazy like the timing was all over the place. The lack of it really thumping like a complete dead whole is a good sign maybe .

Im hoping for the best on your issue , and that it isnt anything serious .

Are you going back there soon . You can call me if you need more help or pointing you around the engine compartment .

Cylinders : passenger side 1-3-5-7 / drivers side 2-4-6-8

From front to rear .

Fingers crossed you just have a bad injector .

Do you have an exhaust brake .

John

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,487 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just had my injectors replaced under GM's JB7 warranty. My truck was smoking while idling. Power still seemed OK. Sitting at a traffic light, I would have a cloud of diesel smoke around the truck. Could not see smoke while driving. Didn't pay a dime for repair. Not sure if other models are included in injector warranty. My warranty is good for 200K miles. Need to find a medium duty dealer for answers but they are hard to find. A heavy duty repair shop may be able to help too. John

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Depends on the dealer.....some on the shops will do the medium duty....some won't

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,487 Posts
If your in a jam usually regular dealer can work on the motor but not the chassis from my experience . You should be fine even at non medium duty dealer and you might have to explain that to service manager that they can work on motor stuff on it .

Been there in Oregon getting injectors looked at . They are the ones that told me they could only do motor stuff and no chassis . I said " cool ck the injectors "

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.