Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, I told you when I got my filter replaced I would show a pic of my filter. I bought my truck used and I know the fuel filter has never been changed and this it what it looked like...
Ewwww My truck loves me now...
I installed another OEM filter temporarily until I can get this adapter made to install in-place of the OEM a Racor.

Jeff

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't like that rust one bit. That's the only reason I would consider a post OEM, and it sure is a crappy reason ... contamination from the FACTORY fuel filter.

Geez, I hope mine looks better.

Rick

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Looks like a well used filter .... I changed one out on a 02 and it was as black as that all the way thru and to the top of the media all the way around at 49 K.... I should post some PICS ...

I have to ask .... I drove the truck before and after .... NO significent performance differance ....You ?? Please be honest ...

That filters was filtering at 2 Um as the one I replaced ...

Keep in mind GM's policy on 10K filter changes ... Seeing these two examples makes me wonder about the whole filter subject....

What keeps me interested in installing my 2um Nicktane is all diesel before the Duramax have better filtering capibilities .... Makes you wonder ,since we never received an official resoponce from Bosch,on their opinion .....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to ask .... I drove the truck before and after .... NO significent performance differance ....You ?? Please be honest ...

Bought my truck used also. 40k miles. Was unsure, so I also changed the fuel filter (actually all the filters/fluids). It looked like the filter above - all black. There was very little rust though. My truck ran no different with the new filter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not notice any difference in performance either. But I know since I changed all fluids out to synthetics and put a new fuel filter in, my truck loves me. She knows I will take care of her....
And one more thing, I just received my Juice with its attitude today via UPS. I will install it tonight at work....

Jeff

·
Registered
704 Posts
Doesn't a filter capture smaller and smaller particles as it gets used, only becoming an issue when it can no longer flow the GPH required by the engine? Has anyone ever put an in cab fuel pressure guage between the filter and pump?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amric said:
Doesn't a filter capture smaller and smaller particles as it gets used, only becoming an issue when it can no longer flow the GPH required by the engine? Has anyone ever put an in cab fuel pressure gauge between the filter and pump?

You hit the nail on the head. On my big truck air filter it actually says "DO NOT OVER SERVICE". The trick is to change it right before it gets too restrictive and bursts. Mileage is a very poor indicator of filter life as one bad tank can ruin one, yet some go many times their service interval. I'm looking for a gauge for my secondary filter. I'm going to change the factory one at the recommended mileage(for warranty) and the secondary when it needs it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can measure filter restriction at the test port on the left front of the engine. The fuel system is under vacuum, with a new filter installation reading of roughly 2.5 inHg. As the filters become used, that value will increase.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The problem with "no change in performance before & after fuel filter change" is that when a filter becomes totally clogged, diesel fuel, like water, *will* follow the course of least resistance. 'channeling' or seal by-pass can occur when the Delta P increases, allowing unfiltered fuel into the pump/injectors. So, unfortunately, even tho there was no apparent performance increase with the new filter, that may not have been a good thing.
George Morrison

·
Registered
365 Posts
ACEHI,

You could NOT have been towing anything large with that filter. My Duramax would have shut down suddenly on the first upgrade as the filter would not handle the large fuel-flow required while pulling large trailers.

"If you don't tow, then it probably would go".

"But if you tow, that filter would say, NO!"

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have to say just the opposite. All summer I pulled a 35' 5th wheel camper that weighed 11,000 lbs. I sold it and bought a 10' slide-in camper so I could pull my 4-wheelers when we go camping. And with me living in Anchorage all I have around me is mountains. That truck went thru a lot this past summer. And you know what??? She purrrred like a kitten...Gotta love that Duramax.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here's some pics of my fuel filter. Changed at about 19,600 miles. I know, I know, It won't happen again. I did notice a change in how it ran with a new filter. At least I thought it did, could be all in my head. A secondary filter will be ordered very soon.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Man, all that rust is nasty. I'm sure that channel around the port holds water in there helping it rust away. What a great design!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I recently entered the world of diesel for the first time with the purchace of a '04 Chevy Crew 4x D/A, and have since been reading with great intrest this site. I have a question about the fuel filter posts I've been reading. The OEM filter is slammed for rust (as evidenced by the pics) and a second filter is often mentioned. I've looked at the Nicktane system and unless I've totally missed the concept it goes before the OEM filter, correct? Is there a post OEM filter system you gentlemen prefer? Is that what a "Racor" is? Sorry for asking a question you've no doubt answered several times, just looking for a little clarity.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
xr400rider,

the brand of filter doesn't necessarily dictate where it gets mounted. any filter can be run pre or post oem. it is a matter of personal preference coupled with other factors. if you read some of the other people posts you will get an idea of why they mounted there filter where they did. if you want to read about nicktane setups look in the nicktane forum. if you want to read about post oem filter setups look in the main duramax forum. where you mount the filter is not as important as running it. bottom line is that pre or post oem will give you good results, so prefer pre-oem and some prefer post.

·
Registered
994 Posts
XR400rider,

I have an XR600 myself. Anyway to answer your questions, the Racor fuel filter (OEM) that came with your truck is made by Racor. Additionally, Racor makes a standalone filter that some people have been adding to their vehicles as supplemental filters (i.e. in addition to the single OEM filter). This standalone Racor filter is completely different from the OEM Racor. The other three supplemental filters that are being used by individuals on this forum include the CAT filter set-up (Nicktane), the Mega filter set-up (Kennedy Diesel) and the Stanadyne filter (in a few cases). You can mount these filters either Pre-OEM or Post-OEM. The discriminating factors for choosing a supplemental filter mounting location include (but are not limited too) --- Pre-OEM (possible warranty concerns and those with EGR) or Post-OEM (the correct location from a filtration point of view and catching the possible rust from the OEM).

A fair amount of testing has taken place on this forum and The Diesel Page forum to verify the performance of the supplemental filter set-ups. They all are up to the job.

A ways back, a summary post was put together by 56Nomad. I have posted the link below. You may want to reference this, it has a wealth of info.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006502

Regards,

AlanEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I have many plans for this truck with priority given to those which perserve the longevity of it. So far today I've finished the bug deflector, ventvisors, linex bed liner, B&W hideaway gooseneck, and digital brake box. Now on to filtration and synthetic lubricants/fluids wherever possible. Debating taller tires but hard to justify with only 1200 miles on the originals. (Why did Chevy put such small tires on this truck? 245's) Thanks again for the help most informative site I've found yet.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Glad you find the site informative.. there is a lot to read on here but by the time you're done you'll be able to make a good informed decision..

lots of honda guys eh? i ride a wr250!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts