Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 40 amp IGN fuse kept blowing. I was stuck at VA. So I put the 50 amp in it. " I know stupid". Now nothing will come on. The truck has set for over a year now. My wife had son, so the truck has just sit. I need help trying to figure out what is wrong because I need it for work and I have no other Vehicle and life is getting ruff. So any ideas on why it won't start and even before things would work and come on but it wouldn't start. But now nothing comes on. Just need some help. Sorry for the long story.

·
Registered
49 Posts
40A IGN A fuse keeps blowing (almost exactly what you are describing)

I had this fuse blow when I discovered a melted wire at my starter years back at the solenoid. This member's post mentioned he discovered his wire shorting to the metal heat shield above his starter. I cant remember, but I think when my fuel filter heater (at bottom of fuel filter manager) was leaking, also may have blown this fuse.

I think checking your batteries (remove from posts. clean w/ some sandpaper, and reattach (espec after sitting for a year) and then physically tracing down the wires from the battery (on passenger side) to your starter, you will probably find your problem. An ohmeter testing for continuity can quickly help you find the dead spot(short) in a wire.

I wouldnt panic about the 50A fuse though, you arent the only one that has put in a higher amp fuse to get rolling again. Simply replace it with the right amperange.or lower amp while chasing problem (It is better though to have the right size in there while troubleshooting).

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Look on Youtube for videos about how to find a short in an auto. Lots of different techniques, tools. If you have an auto electric shop in your town, go there - they will have your truck fixed in a flash at a much better price than you would expect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I had this fuse blow when I discovered a melted wire at my starter years back at the solenoid. This member's post mentioned he discovered his wire shorting to the metal heat shield above his starter. I cant remember, but I think when my fuel filter heater (at bottom of fuel filter manager) was leaking, also may have blown this fuse.

I think checking your batteries (remove from posts. clean w/ some sandpaper, and reattach (espec after sitting for a year) and then physically tracing down the wires from the battery (on passenger side) to your starter, you will probably find your problem. An ohmeter testing for continuity can quickly help you find the dead spot(short) in a wire.

I wouldnt panic about the 50A fuse though, you arent the only one that has put in a higher amp fuse to get rolling again. Simply replace it with the right amperange.or lower amp while chasing problem (It is better though to have the right size in there while troubleshooting).
I can't thank you enough for your help and for responding. I will do that and let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This really will be life changing for me to get this pickup running. It looks like their are a lot of wires that fried. Is there a fuse or something in between the fuse box and the starter. Once again thank you so much for the help.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There are only two places that holds fuses in a 97 truck, driverside engine bay, and the driverside dashboard.. Melted wires are relatively easy to do it yourself if the budget is tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are only two places that holds fuses in a 97 truck, driverside engine bay, and the driverside dashboard.. Melted wires are relatively easy to do it yourself if the budget is tight.
I was just wondering because after the 40 amp fuse blew, the dash lights still came on, but wouldn't start? Then I put a 50 amp in it and then nothing came on anymore

1 - 8 of 8 Posts